If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Questions regarding R69S steering damper

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

I've heard that the hydraulic dampers were hard to maintain and there's a friction damper that came out to replace it or as an option?? I thought Vech at Benchmark Works sold one but I can't find anything on his site. Same with Blue Moon in Georgia. You may have to try a German company, Motorrad Stemler ( http://www.motorrad-stemler.de ). Possibly Mark Huggett's site in Switzerland. These things show up on ebay once in a while...

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

chrisrappl

Thanks for the response

Post by chrisrappl »

Mark Hugget's site will bring up the part number, but there is no price so I assume that it is not available. If I were setting up a sidecar rig, I would install the friction damper. As a solo machine, I would rather keep it original.
Thunder Down the Highway, silently.

Darryl.Richman

Post by Darryl.Richman »

I'm not aware of anyone reproducing the hydraulic damper. The other /2 bikes, the R50 and R60, came with a friction damper, which can easily replace the hydraulic unit. I can't say who might have the pieces, but you can get new friction material and the rivets from the usual sources.
--Darryl Richman

chrisrappl

Post by chrisrappl »

Darryl,

Thanks for the reply. Here's the situation: A member of the IBMWR board is looking for a steering damper to finish his restoration of an R50S. I have two NOS dampers in their original BMW packaging. I don't usually sell anything (bikes or parts) to which my garage, shop and shed will attest. Among the 9 or so bikes patiently waiting restoration I have two R69S models. My plan ??? is to restore one as a solo machine and set one up with a Ural sidecar (which is taking up way too much room in the shed). Therefore I should only need one hydraulic damper assembly. I would like to help this guy out, but, I have no idea what is a fair price. My inclination is to hold onto both of them and possibly trade some of my unneeded parts. For example, I am presently looking for an original pair of mirrors for my '74 R90S and I know how difficult these are to find.
Thunder Down the Highway, silently.

Allan.Atherton

Post by Allan.Atherton »

The damper parts and hydraulic units are not available, so yours are worth a lot. I changed my R69S to a friction damper when I added a Ural almost 20 years ago: http://home.insightbb.com/~aatherton/R69S/R69S.html

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

I forgot this link was around. Vech discusses how to convert to the friction type:

http://members.aol.com/vechbmw2/damper.html

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Darryl.Richman

Post by Darryl.Richman »

I've been a member of VBMWMO for quite some time, but this is my first post on this site. Can anyone tell me if a replacement steering damper for an R69S is available and what it should cost? The BMW part # is 31 42 2 054 071 and the markings are Boge ETOS 22-528. Thanks in advance for any help you may offer.
--Darryl Richman