If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Brand new 1968 R60US in 1968 photos

R.D. Green

Brand new R60US

Post by R.D. Green »

If there had been a quiz, I would have said the footpegs would be red and the tire pump black....

Richard

comet

Post by comet »

Very nice pictures Jeff. I noticed that the red R60 did not have the black sticker on the rear fender; probably came with the reflectors. Neither did it have sidecar mounts, some did. I wish that I would have taken more pictures of the /2s when they were new as there were many more discrepancies than we would like to think there were. I do have a picture of your early R67 though.................Comet

jeff dean

Post by jeff dean »

Very nice pictures Jeff. I noticed that the red R60 did not have the black sticker on the rear fender; probably came with the reflectors. Neither did it have sidecar mounts, some did.

These photos were in 1968 and were 1968 models. The reflectors and rear "US Safety Standards" plate (see photo) arrived with the 1969 models. One dealer recalls specifically(!) seeing them for the first time on bikes he unloaded in February 1969.

Sidecar mounts, to my understanding, were not put on "US" models with telescopic forks. However, as you noted, I don't think things were done with absolute perfection on the assembly line in those years. There could be variability in details that would confound us today.

[h3]Jeff Dean
Friend of the Marque, Co-Founder VBMWMO (1972)
http://bmwdean.com --- http://bmwdean.com/slash2.htm[/h3]

[img]http://bmwdean.com/r75-200.jpg[/img]

Allan.Atherton

Post by Allan.Atherton »

Sidecar mounts, to my understanding, were not put on "US" models with telescopic forks....
They were put on at first. After dealers reported problems with the forks on sidecar outfits, the factory stopped putting on the mounts. So there are are some early 1968 US fork bikes with the mounts.

VBMWMO

Post by VBMWMO »

I was sorting through some old slides recently and came across some photos I took in August 1968 of a brand new, unsold Granada red R60US at Harder's Sales and Service, Janesville, Wisconsin. I scanned them with my Nikon Coolscan V into very large digital files. I scaled a couple down to 800 pixels wide and here they are:

There has been some discussion recently among friends about what parts came through on slash-2s in the special color when a special color was ordered. This should resolve some of that. The frame and sheet metal parts are red, as are the side stand, center stand, and the tire pump. Foot pegs, rear brake pedal, and the battery holder are black. This conforms to how my original, fully documented Dover white 1967 R60/2 is painted.

Note, too, that this bike has the offset red indicator light, but does not yet have the U.S.-mandated side reflectors.

Click here to see more photographs.
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.