If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Cravens pannier parts help

will harris

Post by will harris »

dean - have circa '81 side cases installed at the craven factory in or just outside london. sorry to say, the are buried deep in storage (there is a key or maybe 2) with my bikes. unlikely I will get to them for months. suggest a picture so i can varify same model/type (as i recall when i was at the factory they told me they were on the way out of the business at that time - '81). know this isn't much but if your flumexed elsewhere you can try me in awhile. regards, willie
good judgment comes from experience,
experience comes from bad judgment. - Twain

Allan.Atherton

Re: Cravens pannier parts help

Post by Allan.Atherton »

... I have aquired a nice full set of Cravens panniers, top case and rack... and am in need of ... keys for the cases. (the key is the same for all of the old Cravens cases)....
I have some keys that I am sure are spares for Cravens I had 25 years ago. You can have them. Send me your address - use the email for me on http://www.vintagebmw.org/current/news-events/about.htm
BTW, the keys are made of two tiny thin semi-cylindrical pieces of metal laminated together, and would be impossible to duplicate because they are not made from flat blanks.

baddean

Post by baddean »

Will and Allan thanks for the replies.
Allan I have e-mailed you.
The web page I was able to find for Craven was last updated in 2002 and at that time they still showed panniers and parts available but have since gotten out of the motorcycle end of it.
They did give me a web address for an outfit called West Country Sidecars that they thought might be able to help. I e-mailed them but have not been able to get e response. The handles for the panniers I can make myself because one of them is still mostly intact.
The emblem on my top case is in good shape so I will try to have it scanned and replicated to replace the missing ones on the panniers. If that works out I will post it here in case someone else has a similar issue.
Allan, was it you that made the pillian seats that fasten to the fender rack?
Thanks again,
Dean

Allan.Atherton

Post by Allan.Atherton »

... The web page I was able to find for Craven was last updated in 2002 and at that time they still showed panniers and parts available but have since gotten out of the motorcycle end of it.
They did give me a web address for an outfit called West Country Sidecars that they thought might be able to help. I e-mailed them but have not been able to get e response.... was it you that made the pillian seats that fasten to the fender rack?...
I got a new Craven top case in 2002 from a vendor in England. Six months later I said I wanted to order a rack and panniers, and the vendor said Craven was no longer selling to the US because some people had trouble mounting their racks and bags on /2s. Soon after that I guess Craven quit the motorcycle stuff.
West Country Sidecars makes fiberglass items for vintage Brit bikes, like the Avonaire fairing, fenders, tanks and panniers that may be similar to Cravens. I got a couple of Avonaire windshields from there. Phil Primmer is the owner, and may just be busy.
http://www.wcsidecars.co.uk/
philwcs@hotmail.com
PhilPrimmer@WestCountrySidecars.co.uk
I made a couple dozen of the fender rack seats over the past five years. Then I had to sell the rack I used for a pattern, and the seat blanks changed so they don't adapt so well, and the new rack I got has captive nuts which complicate the mounting. But I do have 4 blanks left and might work them into seats.

baddean

Post by baddean »

Hi Allan,
If you work one of those blanks into a seat I would be interested in it. I thought your seat looked great on the bike.
Speaking of Avonaire fairings, I am kinda (looking) in the market for one.
I've got a line on one but the fella (Mark at Recycle) isn't sure if he still has it. Lenny here in Cincinnati has one but won't let me have it. No hurry for one but if the right one comes along I might just have to have it. It's good to know that some of the Avonaire stuff can still be had from West Country.
Dean

Allan.Atherton

Post by Allan.Atherton »

... It's good to know that some of the Avonaire stuff can still be had from West Country.
Only the windshield. The upper part of an Avonaire is the same for all bikes, so the same windshield fits all. The shop that cuts, drills and forms the Avonaire windshields for West Country is only 30 minutes away.
Any other Avonaire parts for /2 are not available any more. I did a page on the fairing at
http://aatherton05.home.insightbb.com/F ... naire.html

VBMWMO

Post by VBMWMO »

Being new to this forum I'll first say thanks in advance for the help and for the good information found here.
I have aquired a nice full set of Cravens panniers, top case and rack for my recently returned to service (apart for 14 years) 1959 R-60 and am in need of some items.
Carry handles for the side cases, emblems for said cases and, more importantly, keys for the cases. (the key is the same for all of the old Cravens cases).
If someone has a key that could be loaned to make a copy that would be most gracious.
I contacted Cravens and was told by them that they no longer deal with motorcycle items.
Thanks again for any help,
Dean
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.