If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

My story

Darryl.Richman

My story

Post by Darryl.Richman »

Not boring AT ALL. When I got into this, putting together an R60 that had been apart for 22 years, it looked a lot like yours. Except that the mufflers were completely rusted through and the inserts were loose inside. But when it fires up and you go for that first ride, it's mighty inspiring!

You will find that rechroming is very expensive -- in many cases, it's cheaper to buy a new piece. However, if you don't have a lot of money to put into the bike, I would focus on fixing mechanical items and waiting until things look a bit better financially to start in on the cosmetics, which will often be the most expensive part.

One area to be concerned with is the gas tank. Since it sat so long with some gas in it, it may well have rust in the bottom. i would check it to see if the red liner is still intact.

Besides, the paint looks very good from the photos. If it's original, I would especially recommend not repainting, under the dictum that it can only be original once. Just clean it up and use some hand glaze or polishing compound to bring out a shine.
--Darryl Richman

finman57

My story

Post by finman57 »

Thanks for the reply. The inside of the tank looked like the day it was new. I could not believe it when I checked last year. I will try to post some more up-to-date pics soon.

Pat
1967 R60/2

comet

My story

Post by comet »

Kelly, I too found your story interesting. I love the original old BMWs especially with all those desireable accessories. Keep it as original as possible, they do clean up well. Sometimes you are better off looking for good used chrome parts rather than rechroming rusted stuff. Thanks for sharing your story....................Comet

finman57

My story

Post by finman57 »

Couple of pictures from today. Cleaned up. Yes, its the original paint.
I spent a lot of time cleaning over the first couple of months. My next project may be the wiring. I have numerous bare wires that I taped up. One time the headlamp works, the next time it does not. The same with the horn. Right now it runs well. Rides very rough so shocks may be in order.
I am still trying to figure out what the chrome mounts were on the top of the front shock. Its too far for a foot rest, and was not part of the fairing. I found an old picture of Dad on the bike and they were not there. Any Ideas. A mount for some type of light?
I am planning on keeping it as original as possible. Most of the chrome cleaned up but the mufflers and valve covers look rough.
1967 R60/2

R.D. Green

My story

Post by R.D. Green »

Pat - - Great story. Not at all "boring" to those of us who like to fool with old machinery and I don't just mean BMWs. I have a '65 Volvo that my Dad bought new and which I learned to drive on. He loved it and sold it to me for $1.00 before he died thirty-five years ago. I keep it in running condition, not just because I love old cars and bikes but because it was his car. It has marked many family occasions over the years and will be in my daughter's wedding this Fall. Some things you just DO and you don't delve into the logic of it too far.

As for the cleanup of your bike - - it looks great and, from my own personal experience with old bikes including a /2, I know how much work it was. The paint and plating was of such high original quality that much of it comes back and it is rewarding to see efforts paid off. However, when the chrome is gone, it's gone and you can only do so much with it. You can re-plate in many cases but it IS expensive. I've found that you don't need to be limited to local platers who may be too expensive or too backed up or a combination of the two. You may find alternatives on the 'Net who will treat you better. New parts are, of course, available from BMW but be prepared to pay the L-O-N-G buck. Again, alternatives are available on the 'Net (eBay) who sell repro parts at better prices, many of them stainless. These can be viable alternatives as well, depending upon the degree of restoration you are striving for. And then, of course, there is a lot of used and New Old Stock stuff out there which may be had for fairly decent prices, depending on condition. Congratulations on your motorcycle. It's time well spent in my opinion.

Richard

finman57

My story

Post by finman57 »

I know what you mean by keeping it in the family. As a kid I remember the bike sittIng at the gas station and people asking if he ever rode it. Some times it sat for a while and would get covered with dust quickly in the dirty shop. He would bet the person a Coke that he could start it on the first kick. He always won that bet.
It's just a lot of memories of him. If not for that, I doubt if I would have taken the project on.

Pat
1967 R60/2

finman57

My story

Post by finman57 »

The longest distance I have had it so far, was last fall. 90 miles round trip. To Bob's BMW for a dedication of the museum.
Its the 3rd bike from the left. You can see the bags. After looking at all the others, I
realized how much work is still a head of me.
Oh well, a labor of love.
I have other pictures from that event, but I figure someone has posted some by now. Right?
Pat

1967 R60/2

Bruce Frey

My story

Post by Bruce Frey »

I cleaned up very nice! Besides a lot of "elbow grease", what product did the best job on cleaning up the chrome?

Best regards,

Bruce

finman57

My story

Post by finman57 »

On the real bad parts of the mufflers, I used steel wool and Navel Jelly.

I then switched to Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish. Its a paste and says for all metals.
I figured what the heck.
On the rest of the chrome I skipped the steel wool and went right to the Mothers.

Then I used Turtle Wax Chrome polish and rust remover.

Pat
1967 R60/2

808Airhead

My story

Post by 808Airhead »

One of the best things I have ever seen on the internet.Cheers..... :)
Thomas M.
R69S - R60/2 - R67/2 - R51/3 - R69