If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

What could I expect to pay...???

Darryl.Richman

Post by Darryl.Richman »

Well, if you're doing the work yourself...

From Vech's site:
11 00 0 008 414--$135.00--gasket set engine complete with pushrod tube seals R51/3-R67/3 R50-R60/2
11 21 0 016 221--$35.00--oilslinger ring R60/2 R69 R69S x2
07 11 9 981 242--$26.00--bearing main bearing crankshaft R51-R69S outside crown gear rear end R51-R68 x2
--Darryl Richman

dunn6818

Post by dunn6818 »

From my experience with these engines, once you strip them down you will find a lot of work to do especially if you want to build a good engine.

I would budget for new gaskets, new slingers ( yes you can clean & reuse them but the rear always gets battered, new slinger screws, new bearings throughout.

You also can thoroughly check out the crank, here in the UK an expert crank rebuild with new conrods & bearings is £ 350 sterling. It's a waste of time rebuilding any engine with a shot / worn crank as the engine will never run well.

See what you find when the engine is apart & then do any work accordingly.

Regards
Peter

Allan.Atherton

Re: What could I expect to pay...???

Post by Allan.Atherton »

I have posted a couple of times regarding my new (to me at least :-) '65 R60. Here's another - What could a person expect to pay for an engine tear down and rebuild with nothing fancy and extra? Basically, bringing it back to original life. thanks

It depends on whether you or a pro does the work, whether you remove your engine and ship it, or he has to remove and reinstall it, whether you want to limit the rebuild to certain items, or whether you want to repair everything that might need it, and then it would depend on the extent of problems found.

So the answer is anywhere between a couple hundred and several thousand. Not including the transmission and final drive.

VBMWMO

Post by VBMWMO »

I have posted a couple of times regarding my new (to me at least :-) '65 R60. Here's another - What could a person expect to pay for an engine tear down and rebuild with nothing fancy and extra? Basically, bringing it back to original life. thanks
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.