If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

New '66 R69S

Darryl.Richman

New '66 R69S

Post by Darryl.Richman »

If the paintwork is in reasonable original shape, I would be inclined to leave it alone. As they say, it can only be original once! While a new paint job looks great, nobody will duplicate the true look of the original paint job, including the milky pinstripes.

Regarding the mechanical work, depending on the day, I have between 4 and 8 thumbs, and yet I've managed to rebuild two of these motors. You can, too.

Good luck!
--Darryl Richman

allen_m

New '66 R69S

Post by allen_m »

Darryl,

Thanks for the words of support. Mentally I have budgeted 9 months to a year for this project and already I am anxious to get it home and begin the madness.

I am sure I'll be back to the group regulary for wisdom and counsel!
- Allen Moore
'06 R1200GS '03 K1200LT
'94 Ducati 900 SS/SP '66 R69S

VBMWMO

New '66 R69S

Post by VBMWMO »

Soon to be in my garage is a '66 R69S, which had been languishing in a shed for many years. As far as I can tell, I will be the third owner. The bike seems to have been untouched for perhaps 20 years or so and indicates some 38,000 or so miles on the odometer. Although I have no plans to run the engine until a more thorough inspection can take place, it did actually start!

I have mixed feelings on how much restoration I will perform; but, my inclination is to take it down to the frame and just do it all; however, my wife thinks the original paint is more desirable. The bike seems very complete. Can anyone here offer suggestions on how best to judge the mechanical condition of the motor? I know I must pay careful attention to the oil slingers as well as the aging rubber. I have thought perhaps I should order a complete rubber kit, do some thorough cleaning, change all the fluids (no GL-5!), rebuild the carbs, and then just see how she runs… While I have reasonable mechanical aptitude ( am well versed in Volvo clutch, brake, and suspension repair from my youth), I think I might be inclined to send carbs / motor to skilled techs for the engine rebuild, if needed.

Wherever this adventure leads, I am excited to have added this soon-to-be beauty to the stable.
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.