If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R69S Finned Exhaust Nut Removal

Darryl.Richman

Post by Darryl.Richman »

Herb, there's a much bigger wrench available for removing finned exhaust nuts. It's actually for the Airhead models, but I believe it will work on your R69S, too. The BMW dealers carry them, as well as several of the aftermarket places. Vech has it also:

tool 002A--$62.90--spanner wrench heavy-weight steel for exhaust finned nuts R50S R69S /5/6

One thing you should be aware of in regards to these nuts: if the nut should loosen and then tighten again as you begin to spin it off, then STOP. If you force it off, you'll likely gall or tear off the threads on the head. This requires an expensive repair!

In this case, you'll need to carefully split the exhaust nut with, say, a hacksaw blade, taking care not to cut the head threads. Use a chisel to finish the split. Buy a new nut to replace the one you cut off:

18 11 4 090 250--$53.00--exhaust finned nut R68-R69S

When you go to tighten the exhaust nuts up again, be sure to use a liberal amount of anti-seize on the threads, to prevent galling.
--Darryl Richman

comet

Post by comet »

Try penetrating oil for a few DAYS. This is a cheap way out and might work. A little heat on the nut only, sometimes works. If all this fails re-read the above instructions................Comet

herbg

Post by herbg »

When you have the right tools, the most difficult jobs seem easy.

Got the "big exhaust wrench" now and it's almost silly how easy the finned nuts come off. Thanks for the tip!
Herb in Ontario ...
1969 BMW R69S (For Sale)
1975 BMW R90S Silber Rauch
1999 BMW R1100S (Sold)
2005 BMW R1200 GS (Sold)
1972 Ducati 350 Desmo (For Sale)
1978 Ducati 900SS (Sold)
1985 Ducati Mille S2 (Sold)
2013 Ducati Multistrada 1200S (Sold)

VBMWMO

Post by VBMWMO »

OK ... dumb question but I'm struggling to get the right side finned exhaust nut off my R69S.

After warming up the bike, the left side came off relatively easy using the wrench in the tool kit.

However, try as I might, I can't budge the right side nut. The wrench seems really inadequate as I don't have enough leverage. And, I'm in jeopardy of damaging the little holes that the pins of the wrench fit into.

Is there a better wrench I can use? Any tips out there before I resort to neanderthal tactics?

Frustrating!

Thanks,
Herb...
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.