If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

1964 R69S

Darryl.Richman

1964 R69S

Post by Darryl.Richman »

The news for you is excellent.

Check out the links and resource pages on the main web site. You can buy parts for your bike at a number of US locations, such as Bench Mark Works (Craig "Vech" Vechorik), Blue Moon and Bobs. There are also many sources in Europe, such as Mark Huggett, S. Meyer, Uli's, and Stemler.

But amazingly enough, you can actually order many of the parts for your bike from your official BMW dealer. The parts are in their ETK parts system, even if the parts guy doesn't know about it. They also publish a glossy catalog, with official part numbers.

The BMW parts are generally the same as what Vech and Mark Huggett carry.
--Darryl Richman

Jordan Nygaard

64 R69S

Post by Jordan Nygaard »

I picked it up and brought it home yesterday, turned out to be a 1967 not a 64. It's a little rough but it should restore nicely. If anyone is interested I posted some pictures of it on my space on msn the address is http://spaces.msn.com/mtpocketsspace/
What a long strange trip it's been

Darryl.Richman

1964 R69S

Post by Darryl.Richman »

Jordan, it looks like a great project! Lots of little things to fiddle with, if you want, but basically all there.

Do you know the history of the machine? I'm curious about why the left cylinder, head and valve cover seem to be new/newly restored. I wonder if the bend in the (aftermarket) handlebars, and possibly bent rear crashbar on the same side have anything to do with this? You might want to check to see if the frame is straight before spending a lot of money and time cleaning and powder coating it.
--Darryl Richman

Bruce Frey

1963? R51

Post by Bruce Frey »

I like the photo of the rig that leads off your album. It looks like a prewar R51, not a 63. Do you know the details?

Best regards,

Bruce

Jordan Nygaard

Vague History

Post by Jordan Nygaard »

As far as I could find out it was owned by an older gentleman in so. cal. who apparently lost a leg in a crash on a different bike. The crash bars on both sides were defenitely bent but it appears due to low speed or standing tip overs. I would imagine its pretty tough to ride anything with one leg. The heads on both sides were cleaned up and appear painted I can see some minor damage to the metal that would veryfiy low speed or tip over. After extensive exam the frame appears very straight no bends that souldn't be there. No cracks and welds all look original. The guy's son apparently used it for a while after the owner gave up riding due to age. I think the son is the one that did alot of the changes. the handle bars appear straigt but were mounted with the brackets facing forward. I turned them around using the second set of holes and that brought them back toward the rider, much more comfortable. The bars could be aftermarket. It will be a very good learning and research project I'm having a bangup time so far. I think I may paint instead of powder Have'nt decided anything yet as I'm still taking it apart.

Jordan Nygaard

Pictures on the site

Post by Jordan Nygaard »

I don't really know anything about the pictures of the completed bikes I found them surfing the web and just repeated the discription that came with them. sorry

VBMWMO

1964 R69S

Post by VBMWMO »

Hello all, I am new to BMW's, after a 30 year hiatus from motorcycles I am taking the plunge and picking up a 64 R69S next week. It seems to have been well cared for. My main question for those of you with alot more experience than me is how is the spare parts situation for these bikes. There's not alot of resorces here in Utah, not alot of people interested in older stuff I guess.
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.