If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Restoration Work

slash2nut

restoration

Post by slash2nut »

Might help for us to know what area of the country you are in.
Dave in MI
50 years of BMW in the garage

brinson5690

Restoration work

Post by brinson5690 »

I'm in Northwest Florida.

slash2nut

Restoration

Post by slash2nut »

What condition is the m/c in? Does it run? How many miles on it? Has the block been apart for slinger repair? How long have you owned it? What do you want repaired, restored?

There are lots of questions that you need to answer for any help. The restorers associated with vintage BMW's are some of the most knowledgeable helpful people in the field. There are several that will answer any questions you may ask.

The cost of a restoration, depending on level of work required/desired can be expensive. A BMW R60/2 US just sold on ebay for $13k. That is not the norm but prices seem to be rising. If you don't do any of the work, it is easy to get upside down on a restoration. If you have owned the m/c for a long time, that takes the sting out. There are a number of restorers I would recommend personally having used their services.

Dave
Dave in MI
50 years of BMW in the garage

Allan.Atherton

Re: Restoration Work

Post by Allan.Atherton »

I have an R60US that needs restoration work accomplished. What experience have others had with restoration by advertisers that are in the Bulletin? How about other restorers?

Restoration means different things to different people. There is a $10,000 difference between a rebuild and repaint, vs. a complete restoration.

Last year I was involved in a complete restoration of an R60US from S. Florida. If interested, I can email you the owner's address. My R60/2 had the same restoration 6 years ago, and I sold it last week to someone else in S. Florida for $6,000 less than I had in it.

You can save a lot of money if you can buy someone's else's restoration. Just be sure to check the history and paperwork.

delahunty6648

I have used Boxerworks and been very pleased

Post by delahunty6648 »

I have a 1969 R60US that Nathan at Boxerworks restored for me.
Complete mechanical, including rings, pistons, crank, slinger, wiring harness, etc..
Currently adding a Heinrich Upper and Lower.

He also created my 1973 R75/5 Gator Bike. Took a rust bucket and customized paint, powder, electrics, graphics, etc..

Found him to be very reliable, knowledgeable and comes up with good ideas to solve problems.

Boxerworks is in Wadkinsville, Ga (near Athens) so not terrbly distant from you.
Regards, mark[/img]

Gary

Restoration

Post by Gary »

about restoration work, i have a 1969 r/60 us that i just had a lot of work done to,slinger job,and a complete motor rebuild along with a stainless exhaust system and alot of stainless parts. i used benchmark works.i was just like yourself wondering who to use. now i can say hands down vech and his crew are first class, i was there when he put it all together and he is a true pro. anything you do right is going to cost money, i think it is all a question of how much it means to you. good luck

VBMWMO

Restoration Work

Post by VBMWMO »

I have an R60US that needs restoration work accomplished. What experience have others had with restoration by advertisers that are in the Bulletin?

HOw about other restorers?
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.