If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

68 R69S Owner needs advice.

Frank47_1999

R69S

Post by Frank47_1999 »

Gerald,
As soon as you sell it you'll regret it. Restore it, mate, just take your time

Darryl.Richman

Post by Darryl.Richman »

If the bike was running when it was garaged, then you shouldn't have a great deal of difficulty reviving it. The gas in the tank has to be drained, and if you didn't empty the carbs, then they will need to be cleaned out thoroughly.

The parts you need are readily available from Craig "Vech" Vechorik; check the links page on the main web site or google him.

Leaded gas is a red herring; these bikes don't really care about it.
--Darryl Richman

Allan.Atherton

Post by Allan.Atherton »

Did you own the bike, ride it, store it, and kick it over occasionally?
Or have you just bought the bike from a previous owner and have never run it or ridden it?

In the second case, there could be some unknowns and we could offer further advice.

miller6997

Post by miller6997 »

The '67 that I ride was stored for twelve years before I put it back in service. It was in excellent overall condition when it was put away and was stored properly in a dry garage. In a few hours I had it running. Batteries are widely available, as are tires and just about everything else. These bikes are robust and very forgiving. Unless it has serious problems, get it going and enjoy it.

Jon
Jon Miller
'67 R69S
'13 F800GT
Altadena, California

woodbury7089

R69S

Post by woodbury7089 »

Gerald, I just purchased a 1960 R50/2 with 14000 miles that had been in a dry garage since 1986. the owner would on occasion start the bike but never ride it. When I got it home gas would not flow and had to drain tank and clean petcock. Put fresh petrol in and she fired first { maybe second} kick.Warmed her up then shut her down to change oil. I rode her a little bit but she started to break down and lose power at top end or under load up hills. Almost felt like the right cylinder was shuttin down. Well cold weather came to New Hampshire and now I have her IN the garage to figure out if it is my ignition or fuel delivery thats causing my problem. Any way I"ve discovered that parts aren"t cheap and you have to decide whether or not your going to do a complete restoration or let her age gracefully. Besides minor things like battery, some rubber and I have to have mine painted Back in Black { yea they painted her silver Ughhh } I"ve decided to just clean her up and enjoy going for a putt now and then.
Good Luck and Welcome to New Hampshire

drewboid

keeping the R69s

Post by drewboid »

The R69s has the additional power needed for the hills but at 42 HP is not a modern sports bike. You will need to keep the revs up in order to get full performance. Take your time and see the scenery.

What the bike will need: replace the vibration damper! Clean the slingers! order a new magneto coil - you will need one sooner or later, do a full grease and fluid change, set the points and replace the plugs. 6 volt batteries were available from Sears on special order but you don't need a battery to start and run the bike. Change the air filter and clean the little filter on top of the engine under the 1/2 moon cover.

Replacing the steering head bearings with the newer roller bearings is a good idea. Replace the brake linings with new linings. The original mufflers do rust from the inside out - stainless steel is expensive but worth it.

I have found that the Iridum sparkplugs give a concentrated spark and make starting easier - YMMV.

the 6 volt headlight system is not bright - consider going to a 12 volt system.

Keep and enjoy the bike for the classic it is. Consider getting a later model as a daily rider. (I got a R75/6 to keep my R60/2 company)

Keep the shiney side up and the rubber side down!
Drew Daniels

Allan.Atherton

Re: keeping the R69s

Post by Allan.Atherton »

"...What the bike will need: replace the vibration damper! Clean the slingers!... 6 volt batteries were available from Sears on special order... clean the little filter on top of the engine under the 1/2 moon cover... Replacing the steering head bearings with the newer roller bearings... Replace the brake linings with new linings.... consider going to a 12 volt system."

Damper rubbers are available from Bench Mark Works. If missing, the complete damper assembly is available from Huggett. The electrics breather passage and filter was eliminated in late 1967 (at R69S # 663 957). With low miles, the original steering bearings and brake linings should still be good. A brighter 6V halogen bulb is available from Bench Mark Works. I did not go to a 12V alternator from Bench Mark Works until I had a problem with the 6V generator. That generator probably had 50-100K miles - the original generators can work for many tens of thousands of miles.

GeraldCooper

Thanks for the advice so far...!

Post by GeraldCooper »

OK! You have me thinking about firing her up. I have owned her since the early 70's and we have taken a few long trips together - Chicago area to Colorado and the Florida Keys. We've attended several BMWMOA National's one in Wisconsin and one in New Hampshire or VT. The thought of touring the Green and White Mountains together is attractive! Would it be nice to come on over to the VT National on her....

I'll stay tuned for any additional input.

Thanks again.

Jerry
Civility is essential to our survival!

VBMWMO

Post by VBMWMO »

I have a low milage 1968 R69S that has been garage stored for several years. This Beemer has not been fired up for some time - only cranked over with the kick starter every so often. I am soon moving to New Hampshire (one of my favorite States to motor in) and am trying to decide whether to restore this R69S to operational status, or sell it. I would like any knowledgeable input on the challenge of getting this beauty back on the road, and what the alternative needs will be regarding it's love of leaded gas, six volt electrics, etc. Aside from new tires, fluids, battery, filters, tune up etc., what are the biggest barriers to my arriving in Burlington, VT next July on this otherwise beautiful bike.
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.