If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Kick start seal

metoo

Kick start seal

Post by metoo »

Hi, I have a leak at the kick start shaft seal. Is it possible to replace the seal while the transmission still on the bike by just removing the kick starter lever?

VintageJim

Re: Kick start seal

Post by VintageJim »

I just rebuilt the transmission on my R26 and the seal was external so should be able to change without tearing down the transmission.

Rodolfo850

Post by Rodolfo850 »

yes, it can be changed without removing trans from bike.

Remove kickstarter wedge bolt, then you will need a drywall screw and carefully screw two on middle body and pull with a visegrip..take care to avoid screw it too long, that could damage gearbox body.

Seal its 17x28x7 mm

metoo

Post by metoo »

Thanks!

bigdave

Post by bigdave »

Metoo,
I have the same leak and am anxious to hear how you proceeded with the repair and your success. I do not understand what was mentioned previously about the drywall screws and how they would work.
1987 R80RT
1965 R50/2 (now sold)
1958 R60 (project) Now running well
1973 R75/5 (recently sold)
1956 R26 (basket case project)

VintageJim

Post by VintageJim »

You need some way to grab the seal and pull it out, without damaging the shaft or the aluminum bore where the seal fits. The seal internally has a thin sheet metal covered with the rubber seal material. If you carefully drill a small hole in the front face of the seal and screw in the sheet metal screw you can grab the screw with a pliers and pull it out. I have never used this method but it sounds good and will try it in the future. I have always used a small screwdriver and carefully worked to loosen and pry the seals out. You can also buy seal pullers but have never needed one.
Jim