If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R26 First ride - First gear is the only one that works...

jgreen

R26 First ride - First gear is the only one that works...

Post by jgreen »

Hello folks,

Today was the official first ride of my 1956 R26. I did the bare minimum to get it back on the road; I'm a "if you can't emotionally afford to get a scratch on it, you can't afford it" kind of guy.

It seems to shift into all gears, and I got it up to maybe 30-40 mph, but then it seemed to lose 3rd gear, and them seemed to lose 2nd gear. The only gear that works is first. It sure feels like it is shifting into each gear, but not like the clutch is catching.

I didn't replace the clutch, but it appeared to have plenty of meat on it. Is it possible that the clutch is bad? I'd think that it'd slip in first as well, if that was the issue. Thoughts?

schrader7032

Re: R26 First ride - First gear is the only one that works...

Post by schrader7032 »

Start with the basics...check the clutch adjustment. While on the center stand, can you seemingly select all gears?
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

jgreen

Post by jgreen »

Have it up on my lift. I can get it into each gear. Spin the rear tire, and then shift.

There's definitely resistance at the engine once it is in gear, as if the clutch is engaged.

I suspect that my clutch/plates are bad, because when I was under load, it rotated freely.

The clutch adjustment was proper, as far as I could tell. I had almost 1cm of free play at the handlebar lever...

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

1cm of free play? Seems big to me. Typically I would think the free play should be in the 5-6mm range.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

VintageJim

Post by VintageJim »

If it is the clutch slipping you can put the front tire against a strong wall, put the bike in 4th gear and slowly let out the clutch with the engine about 2000 rpms. There will be an initial little push on the wall where the engine slows slightly and then the engine will rev freely. Don't do it for more than a few seconds as the heat will damage the pressure plate if it isn't already ruined. This is kind of old school for people who don't know what a slipping clutch feels like while they are driving.

jgreen

Post by jgreen »

I dug into the clutch today. I think I found the answer. Glazed and smooth clutch, with a touch of grease. The surfaces actually were relatively smooth for the backing plate and the pressure plate. They were a bit on the greasy side, but they cleaned up nicely with a little 220 and some elbow grease. Waiting on my new clutch…
Attachments
IMG_1403.jpeg
IMG_1401.jpeg
IMG_1400.jpeg

VintageJim

Post by VintageJim »

I am in the process of a total rebuild of my R26 and recently assembled all the clutch components. Your second picture is the pressure plate and you should take a 6 inch steel ruler and make sure the pressure surface is flat. If not you may have to replace it. The bottom picture is the pressure ring. It also should be flat and not cupped. If it is not flat you can try to flatten it with a large shop press, or it will need replacement. You don't show your diaphragm spring but the fingers should all be the same height and not too worn at the tips. If the pressure surfaces are not flat and parallel it will be difficult to get the clutch to not slip even with a new clutch disc.
Hope that helps! We need another R26 back on the road!
Jim