If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Safety spark gap

Pokey

Safety spark gap

Post by Pokey »

What is the purpose of this setting. Figure 110 says it should be 10 to 11mm on my R50 it is way more than that I could set it to 10mm but it would take some bending of the contact to so. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks Ron
Attachments
IMG_2451.png

schrader7032

Re: Safety spark gap

Post by schrader7032 »

The purpose is a safety measure for the coils. If for some reason the spark energy can't get to the plugs, then the spark will jump to ground at this safety gap. Spark wants to find the easiest path to ground...normally the plugs. If the spark can't get to ground, then damage to the coil can happen.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Thanks for your quick response you’re the best. Make sense great German engineering.

therealkennyboy

Post by therealkennyboy »

Rather than bend the tabs, just relieve (cut back) the plug wire insulation a bit more and bring the wire core down to the appropriate gap, i.e. make the wires stick out a bit farther so they are closer to the tabs. Don't mess with the tabs.
Ken Walker
Scottsdale, AZ, USA
1960 R60 (currently), 1974 R75/6 (past), 1981 R100CS (currently), 1984 R100RS (past), 1989 K100RS (past)

skyler.robbins

Post by skyler.robbins »

therealkennyboy wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 2:36 pm
Rather than bend the tabs, just relieve (cut back) the plug wire insulation a bit more and bring the wire core down to the appropriate gap, i.e. make the wires stick out a bit farther so they are closer to the tabs. Don't mess with the tabs.
Agree 100%
I’ve “heard” of people breaking the tabs off.. I always adjust the spark plug wires to get my gap.

Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Great info that’s an awesome salutation to the proper adjustment. I didn’t pay much attention when I removed the wires but I didn’t want to bend the pointer that far. Again thanks to you guys. Ron