If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Is this normal

Pokey

Is this normal

Post by Pokey »

Was stripping down my R50 yesterday and to my surprise. I found the front fork tubs were full of oil. When I tipped it upside down a red oil ran out both sides or the headlight bracket mounting holes.
Any comment welcome Thanks Ron
Attachments
AC11A930-F378-4805-9532-1467A3363C2A.jpeg
B821A840-1CBE-4CE6-B742-E2E96C960391.jpeg
C1A8A4AD-2885-4741-838D-6EA9514045E6.jpeg

srankin

Re: Is this normal

Post by srankin »

I have never seen oil there? Perhaps it is from the steering head bearings? I write this because I used to have synthetic bearing grease on hand in my shop in a grease gun lying on its side. Whenever I would go to use the gun to grease something I would get a trickle of fluid out the bottom of the gun. Seems some synthetic greases in my experience tend to separate and a liquid component comes out. Pure speculation on my part but maybe the previous owner used one of these greases?

St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Maybe the previous owner thought they were part of a "normal" front end and didn't understand the Earles fork setup? Put in some oil and thought it worked OK on the bike or didn't know how to remove the oil once he figured out his mistake? Those are the holes that the headlight ears attach to, right? And basically the only holes in the forks. I forgot what you see when you take the caps off the top of the forks.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Pokey

Post by Pokey »

I wondered the same thing because it was a substantial amount probably at least 2 to 3 once’s in each side. I haven’t pulled the top bolt yet to see if they communicate or if they’re blind threaded holes. Ron

Flx48

Post by Flx48 »

No, it's not normal, normal being usual or expected; but it is interesting, or maybe even 'intweeging', as Elmer might say.

Another possibility is a PO adding the oil for internal rust protection.
That was done in days of yore with some brands of the old bikes that were prone to internal frame rust and lived in a humid climate, and also had some kind of easy access to chassis internals.
But I would think improbable, given lack of internal access anywhere else on frame or swingarms. (rear swingarm cross tube the only exception I can think of, accessible behind portside bearing cup)
More likely he was high, and was told he'd better add fork oil, and so he did...

Yes the chrome triple clamp bolts are also through to the fork leg interiors.
Best-
George