If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

When did Dover White really start?

jwonder

When did Dover White really start?

Post by jwonder »

Hello,

I have a friend that has an R 27 in Dover White that was built March 12 1961. I checked with the archives but they have no color mentioned, which typically means Black, but the Dover White looks REALLY good and correct and period patina. If I was just looking at it I would say its original, or at least period, but it begs the question to the forum:

"When did they start putting Dover White on R 27's?" Do we have any way to really know when they started with varying colors?

Thanks for any help!!!

James
James Wonder
Vice President, Vintage BMW Motorcycle Owners
2022 BMW Friend Of the Marque
Long Island, New York

schrader7032

Re: When did Dover White really start?

Post by schrader7032 »

Not necessarily definitive, but I looked at some price lists on Beemergarage. For 1964, it lists white was available for the R60 and R69S. In 1966, the price list indicates white was available also for the R27. Earlier price lists don't mention color choices.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Douglass

Post by Douglass »

I have an early 1961 R69S in original Dover White. I believe I've seen earlier white bikes.
Douglass

Tinkertimejeff

Post by Tinkertimejeff »

I have seen two (2) original paint Dover White R 69 's not an (S) here in Florida, both documented as original one or two owner bikes.

Seek

Post by Seek »

Dover White is not the same as the cream white BMW's sold in Europe for a long time mostly for authorities, like the Red cross organisation in Germany. As fas a I know, Dover White was only an option in the US.

Daves79x

Post by Daves79x »

There have been several documented original Dover White bikes in '59. That's the earliest I know of.

Dave
Dave

Flx48

Post by Flx48 »

My '60 R69 (build date 9/59) (seen to the right) is dover white, was in great shape when I got it, I was the second owner.
Whitey and I are both a little frayed around the edges nowadays. (been riding this rig the past 49 years)

But we're still going strong, I switched from 2 wheels to 3 for the MotoGiro in 2019, and to good success.
Plus moving to sidecar class meant Ginni now comes along and participates, so we get to explore more interesting rural roads and vistas outside our usual New England stomping grounds while also competing, which has been just great.
Best-
George