If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Heavy Duty Inner Tubes.

Mirco Hilgers

Heavy Duty Inner Tubes.

Post by Mirco Hilgers »

Hello friends! I have been thinking for a long time if it would be convenient to change the inner tubes for "heavy duty" type tubes. Will this make sense, or will it be counterproductive? Of course I use this type of inner tubes on off road motorcycles, but I have never used them on "older" motorcycles. But after going over 65 mph and suddenly running out of air, I got to thinking maybe going heavy duty isn't a bad thing. Come on at least I didn't ask what is the best oil for an r51/3? :D
R51/3 - R69 - R50S

schrader7032

Re: Heavy Duty Inner Tubes.

Post by schrader7032 »

What do you mean "suddenly running out of air"? I don't see the benefit of heavy duty inner tubes. For certain applications, probably, but generally riding around I'm not so sure. I would think also that the thicker tubes would retain more heat.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Mirco Hilgers

Post by Mirco Hilgers »

The lack of air was due to an untimely rupture of the inner tube, even though it was of good quality. For this reason I thought of placing something thicker, however, that they are thicker means greater heat retention, I had not thought of that. Now, does anyone use them on this type of motorcycle? :?:
R51/3 - R69 - R50S

VintageJim

Post by VintageJim »

If you buy a good quality natural rubber tube (often made in Germany), use quality rim tape on the spokes, and get real tire talcum powder (still on Amazon) to apply liberally on the tube, the tube will last longer than your tire (unless you hit an object that would also puncture a heavy duty tube.) I think the real talcum powder is very important. If you use baby powder it will make things worse that using nothing.
Jim

Flx48

Post by Flx48 »

Agree Jim-
Many of us subscribe to the use of natural rubber tubes over butyl.
The big plus is little tendency to have a puncture turn into a tear; that is the difference between having a slow leak and a blowout.

Two shortcomings of natural rubber tubes are said to be cost and permeability.
I willingly concede the natural tubes costs twice that of butyl, and consider my butt worth it.
And having to check tire pressures weekly makes up for my inherent laziness to do so.

Also like to use talc; it lubes the tube for enhanced survivability during the initial mounting, as well as keeping the tube from sticking to tire or rim tape during use.

The heavy duty tubes are generally for off road/lower pressure use, where higher temps would be of little consequence, the higher temps of road use may alter both tire pressure and tread wear.
Best-
George

Mirco Hilgers

Post by Mirco Hilgers »

Thank you for your responses, crystal clear! ;)
R51/3 - R69 - R50S

CWRoady

Post by CWRoady »

VintageJim wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:40 pm
If you use baby powder it will make things worse that using nothing.
Jim
Can you elaborate on this. I have used baby powder on tubes for well over 50 years and this is something I have never heard. I will certainly discontinue if warranted.
Chris
1955 R50 / 1973 R75/5 / 1974 R90/6 Hack / 2015 RT
Yard Art 1968 +/- Hodaka & SACHS

VintageJim

Post by VintageJim »

Real talc is a mineral product mainly from magnesium and silicon and has been eliminated from most products like baby powder because of lung and cancer concerns. Baby powder used to be talc but is now mostly corn starch that gets sticky and can harden after getting wet and does not lubricate. If you have an old tin of baby powder, maybe it is real talc. Now the only product I have seen with real Talc is Tire Talc which has all kinds of warnings about health risk and only for tire use, but it sure makes the innertube very slippery.

field6596

Post by field6596 »

Really curious where you can find either A. natural rubber tubes, and/r B. even harder--made in Germany? I've tried to buy Conti, Metzeler or Michelin tubes for my two tube-tire bikes. Most are made in the far east. Everything I've seen from Metz is now made in Brazil.

VintageJim

Post by VintageJim »

Last year I purchased two tubes from VintageBeemerParts.com the brand name HEIDENAU TUBE made in Germany. I just looked on the site and they still are there but the price has gone up quite a bit. So far I am pleased with them. I got the tire talc on Amazon.