If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Hama Locking gas cap

fuzzymuzzie

Hama Locking gas cap

Post by fuzzymuzzie »

Hi: Looking for a Hama gas cap key blank or key or a cap and key if available. I purchased a Hama cap online without a key and checked my local Lock/key/safe company and they can't help even with a key code as there are no key blanks available.
I have already taken mine all apart, milled the rivets off and punched them out for re-chroming the top but without a key it is just a gas cap not a locking gas cap. If I can find a key even if it may not fit, the lock/key guy maybe be able to use it to make a key. Or I can just find another gas cap with a key. Either way it will still need to come apart most likely for re-chroming. Is there anyone out there that can help me out? Anyone ever take one apart for re-chroming? Need to source replacement metric aluminum rivets for the top.

Thanks in advance

Regards

John

kwalther

Re: Hama Locking gas cap

Post by kwalther »

Hello I am a locksmith and have a fair collection of blanks for vintage cars and some motorcycle stuff.
What area do you live in, or maybe you can mail it to me and I can see what I can do.
I live in the southern maryland area.

fuzzymuzzie

Post by fuzzymuzzie »

Sorry I am new to the forum. The key looks like a bit of skeleton key and my local lock smith did not have any blanks resembling it. I do not see any way to send an attachment on this forum, maybe it's just me.

Regards

John

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

To upload a picture, use the Attachments tab at the bottom of the screen. Next click Add Files. Navigate on your computer to find the reasonably sized pictures (typically JPG) to upload.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Davidd321

Post by Davidd321 »

My advice is to try a different locksmith… the good ones are amazing at deciphering any lock they encounter. I brought in a locked Craven Concorde pannier from the early 70’s and half an hour later the guy had six keys he’d cut for me.

Flx48

Post by Flx48 »

Hey John-
If I uploaded correctly, here's a couple of pics of my key. (I always have to relearn attaching files here)
And maybe you'll get lucky and Kurt will have some blanks in his stash.
But David may be right; this may not be in your locksmith's wheelhouse.
Best-
George
IMG_3408.jpg
IMG_3409.jpg
IMG_3407.jpg
IMG_3408.jpg

kwalther

Post by kwalther »

Sorry but I have nothing in the 2 boxes of those type keys that is close enough to work as is.
Does the lock look like it could be opened up with out major damage to it? May be able to fit one with a bit of filing. Would need to see if the bump part need to be that exact length.
Need to see how the lock and key interact to make the lock turn. These are completely different that a normal house/car type key.
Again sorry.