If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Just wanted to introduce myself as new to site hope this is in proper area.
I’m an old guy my first motorcycle was a 62 single cylinder Ducati. Bought it from a service member that had it shipped home from overseas. At 14 years old I was king of the hill keeping up with my friends 50 cc Honda and a neighbors Harley sprint. Sure wish I would have stashed that away instead of trading it for a 46 ford another story sorry.
Over the years I’ve been more into hot rods than bikes but never pass on a bike project that speaks to me. Yes I have that disease.
I got two bike projects going now a cb360 and cl360.
To the point last week I purchased a 1966 R50 Bmw been doing my research on the bike. Got the title work completed last week all went well title should be in the mail on its way to me. Always glad to have that behind me. The bike sat in a shed 30 plus years so you never know what obstacles that may present themselves I’m sure you all can relate. If I can figure out how to post pictures will. Thanks in advance for your help and kindness or maybe not so kindness on dumb questions or bad grammar or punctuation. I told you I’m old. Thanks
Attachments
89AA64CD-8FA1-496B-BB98-9307AEE25D12.jpeg
FA65C323-575A-4D3C-A878-8F6A7578C971.jpeg
92C3DB0B-9E6E-4BDE-B376-4EFD721ECDF2.jpeg

Pokey

Re: New member

Post by Pokey »

Sorry about the picture being sideways hope I can correct that. But if someone knows how help is appreciated. The person in the picture is the previous owner he purchased the bike in Kalamazoo Mi. In 1976.
He told me he removed the long seat and replaced with the solo. Doesn’t remember what the seat was from maybe a Norton he thinks. Also he had a maybe a 250 cc Puch motorcycle at the time and somehow that speedometer got put in the R50 he thinks the one on the R50 stopped working and he traded them out. Other than that it got all three matching serial numbers. Turn over and has compression inside tank looks nice kinda a red primer look but clean.
Other then pulling the plugs and putting the oil on the cylinders that’s about as far as I have went so far.

cwf

Post by cwf »

Welcome, you can be sure of answers here. There will be everything from tear it down and rebuild better than new to fill it with fuel and see how it goes.

I'm closer to minimal intervention. So many bikes have been rebuilt that original condition is beginning to be appreciated. That said, there is plenty that it would be wise to do first.

Empty the fuel tank and rinse with clean fuel.

Change all the oils. Oil left for 30 years turns into an unhealthy-looking goo, so drop the sump and clean it out.

Grease all the outside bearings.

Replace all the rubber parts. Even the tyres, which might look good but...

Fuel left in the carbs evaporates, leaving a light brown deposit that clogs jets : clean them all well.

Looks like a few parts are missing. Uli's in Germany are very good, if you can't find things nearer.

I bought a 50/2 two years ago from a deceased estate in the US (I'm in the UK) and it was about the same shape.

Have fun, Charlie.
75/7+ offroad sidecar; 50/2; R 35; XR125V; XR200A; Solex; 1939 Hillman Minx DHC.

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Welcome! The pictures right themselves once you click on them.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Thanks you for the info on preparing the bike for getting it started after sitting for some 30 years.
Definitely want to do no harm to the bikes internals just to get it running.
I totally agree with you on trying to keep the bikes as original as possible. As the saying goes they’re only original once.

And thanks for the info on the picture situation that works great.

Been doing my research on the availability of parts needed. And making a list of things needed done.
Also going through all the great posts on this site what a wealth of knowledge on these bikes.
Thanks to all

808Airhead

Post by 808Airhead »

Congratulations and welcome! There are many ways to approach getting this project back on the road....if you want to have it on the road quickly, I recommend removing motor and trans,SEND THEM OUT to experienced,reliable and qualified BMW mechanics/restorers,and do the rest of the bike yourself,this will save you time and money....you will be able to ride it and enjoy it much sooner. You can also do what I,and many have done.....buy ALL the specialty tools,study the techniques,and learn through trial and tribulation whether you did it "right" or not....this can be rewarding as much as it can be frustrating....I have 4 bikes,so the investment was well worth it for me,however if this is just one, I would question if it is worth all the time and expense to "do it yourself"....either way...good luck....and my motto for anyone that buys these machines?....." BE READY TO REBUILD THE WHOLE GODDAM THING!" :lol:
Last edited by 808Airhead on Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas M.
R69S - R60/2 - R67/2 - R51/3 - R69

r67boxer

Post by r67boxer »

Welcome to the group. I would add to the comments/suggestions to purchase Barrington's book for your bike and try Meyers for parts in Germany (https://www.meyer-bikes.de). Uwe is very knowledgeable and their shipping costs tend to be cheaper for smaller shipments than Ulis. Having said that though, either carry the parts you need and are worth a try.

Kevin