If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Charging devices on a 6V R60/2 system

jnclem

Re: Charging devices on a 6V R60/2 system

Post by jnclem »

Davidd321 wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:15 pm
So, interestingly, it appears the generator can’t even keep up to regular maximum draw (assuming incandescent bulbs) and would have to draw from the battery to keep everything illuminated.
It doesn't keep up. I ride with my headlight on bright all the time. Bright being a relative term on a 6V system. I found that my battery would drain on a long ride. I started putting it on a trickle charger whenever it was parked in the garage. I now have LEDs front and rear, and it never needs charging, although I still check it from time to time. Vech told me once that in 1958, people didn't run driving lights all day long like many of us do now, so it wasn't an issue.

jwonder

Post by jwonder »

I need to charge my iPhone and other electronics on the "Rally to the MOA Rally" event coming up at the end of May so I started to research how to make this happen and decided to purchase the following DC step down converter that works from 6-32 Volts.

Following is what I did:
  1. I purchased the 5 on Amazon for $10.59 (very affordable) and tested them on a 6 volt battery, they worked.
  2. I needed a plastic box to put the 5 USB step-down converters into and all the boxes I found were too large. I stole the plastic box from my wife's Trident gum and used that! They fit great!
  3. I soldered wires on the converters.
  4. I put the converters into the box and held them in with hot glue.
  5. I joined all the converters up, drilled a hole into the box and ran an SAE quick disconnect plug through it.
  6. I used hot glue and clear silicon to waterproof it as well as possible.
  7. Once done, I used my hot knife to cut the holes for the USB ports. I figured it may help waterproof it somewhat, but I likely will be using a plastic bag around it anyway.
  8. I then made another wire to hook into the headlight and I put a fuse inline with a 7.5 amp fuse. I may need to raise that if I use all 5 ports on the USB. I am sure that will drag more than that. I might raise it to 15 amps.
I went out for a ride and tested it with my iPhone plugged in and IT WORKS!!! On a short ride it charged the phone from 78% to 96%.

I still need to do more testing with it, but so far I am very happy with what I have created. It looks like crap, and if I am to do it again I will change several things, but I do like the trident plastic box!!!
IMG_9003.JPG
IMG_9004.JPG
The nice part is that this will work on 6 volt or 12 volt systems and because I used an SAE plug I can plug it into anything that has an SAE plug to charge items.

I will keep you all updated!
James Wonder
Vice President, Vintage BMW Motorcycle Owners
2022 BMW Friend Of the Marque
Long Island, New York

vechorik1373

Post by vechorik1373 »

The way the side car socket was originally wired, it became hot only when the park lights or head lights were on.
On a non side car bike, you can run the wire from the socket direct to the positive post of the battery, and using the side car plug, installed on your battery charger, you can conveniently charge the battery at any time, when the bike is not in use.
Likewise with the male plug, you can plug any accessory into the bike and it will function without the lights on.
Vech
Technical Adviser, Former owner, Bench Mark Works
662 312 2838 cell 9 am to 4pm CST PLEASE!

wa1nca

Post by wa1nca »

Great idear Vech
The wire going to the side car socket comes from the switched ignition board is only a .75mm diameter wire

You can add a 1.0mm or 1.5mm wire (fused) from the side car socket to battery POSITIVE
for a greater load like James needs for his USB charging box or a big night light/tire pump
exc.
the socket is always on

You can cap off the original .75mm wire feeding the side car socket

I don't use the side car socket for my side car
Use the frames for ground,and a 2 pin connector for right directional and brake/tail combo lights
Attachments
IMG_4060.JPG
DSC05185.JPG
Tommy Byrnes
54 R51/3, 55 R50/Velorex 560 sidecar, 64 R27, 68 R69US, 75 R75/6
Ashfield, Ma
USA