If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R26 neutral switch alignment tool

VintageJim

R26 neutral switch alignment tool

Post by VintageJim »

I finished rebuilding the transmission on my 1956 R26 and the neutral switch was working after installing the cover. Now prior to installation on the bike I am double checking everything and now it doesn't work. I would like to take off the cover and adjust with the tool, and not pull all the shafts and sight down the hole.
I have searched everywhere and can't find a tool for sale or the specifications. Does anyone have an alignment tool for sale or rent or have the specs so I could make one? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Jim

Seek

Re: R26 neutral switch alignment tool

Post by Seek »

Are you sure it is the switch? When it was working after renovation of the gearbox, it should be working now. It could be the wiring or the lightbulb. Does the light work when you touch the bare wire against the gearboxcase?

Sorry if you allready checked all that....

VintageJim

Post by VintageJim »

Yes, I checked my continuity tester and it is working fine. The reason I was concerned and checked it again is that I can see the contact arm had been bent by the previous person who rebuilt the transmission and other parts of the previous rebuild were not done correctly. Now I started thinking that it was the only part I did not actually adjust properly so I had to recheck it while it is still on the bench. I was checking to see if it could have been working intermittently and just barely touching the shifter ground and now think that is the case. I probably worry too much but I never want to pull the engine and transmission again because I missed something!

Seek

Post by Seek »

Well, you now know that it almost works. Bend it 3 mm further and it is all good. This is not a super precision part.

San Arthur

Post by San Arthur »

I don't remember a tool or anything in the Barrington about it, unless Vech knows about a tool.

Is just a copper connector that goes to ground, when the gear falls in neutral. I need to improve my technical english. hahahaha

In the picture above is the green wire connected to the center of the bucket warning lights.
Maybe the gearbox needs the frame to ground?
Maybe the copper connector is loose or bent like mine in the first picture?

I would start by grounding the warning lights on the bench and go from there, before opening the gear box cover, is a pita to shim into place.

Good luck.
San Arthur in San Antonio, Texas
'58 R26 '76 R90S '88 R100RS '94 R100GS/PD

VintageJim

Post by VintageJim »

Here is the page from the Barrington manual that shows the tool. I have already pulled the cover off my transmission and since no one has a tool I might try to make one by bending a plate that lines up with the contact peg on the shifter wheel while in neutral. Another MacGyver project for the old bike.
Attachments
Tool.jpg

San Arthur

Post by San Arthur »

Well there is your answer, call Chris!!
San Arthur in San Antonio, Texas
'58 R26 '76 R90S '88 R100RS '94 R100GS/PD

VintageJim

Post by VintageJim »

I did end up making a tool to align the neutral switch and it shows why my previously bent contact arm did not work reliably. the tool isn't pretty but fits very well and should be good for what hopefully will be a one time use. I bent and fashioned a piece of thick sheet metal (from repairing the trunk on my 59 Plymouth). It fits across two bolt holes and then I drilled a small hole to fit over the brass contact peg on the shifter wheel. I put yellow paint on this contact peg so it is easier to see in the picture. I ordered a new contact arm and will see how that lines up from the factory or if it needs a small adjustment. I will post an update after get my new part installed.
Thanks for all the comments!
Jim
Attachments
Neut3.jpg
Neut1.jpg