If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

What is correct horn for R26?

VintageJim

What is correct horn for R26?

Post by VintageJim »

My "refurbish" project for my 1956 R26 has evolved into a complete restoration so now I am even concerned about getting a correct horn. I have not been able to find any information on which brand or style came on these bikes or if there were several different ones that were used.
As always, thanks for your help!
Jim

schrader7032

Re: What is correct horn for R26?

Post by schrader7032 »

Salis Parts shows three horns, a Norris and a Bosch plus a third one without a name:

https://www.bmwclassicmotorcycles.com/p ... s/horns-2/
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

jwonder

Post by jwonder »

If you are looking for a 100 point restoration, the owners manual that is available In our Library shows on page 31 of the PDF "Electric Horn Noris HE 6".

I googled "Noris HE 6" and found some for sale! They are actually really cool looking! I don't have an R 26, but if I did I wold have one of those on it in a heartbeat. Great looking Hupe!!!

I hope this helps!

[edit] I noticed that Simon's old motorycle parts has one for sale. I have ordered from them in the past and had good luck with them.
James Wonder
Vice President, Vintage BMW Motorcycle Owners
2022 BMW Friend Of the Marque
Long Island, New York

VintageJim

Post by VintageJim »

Wow, that horn does look great and would help add that original touch. Since I have already sent my parts out for Cadmium plating I might as well go whole hog. :)

VintageJim

Post by VintageJim »

James
Thanks for your advice! I did end up purchasing the horn at Simon's Old Motorcycle Parts and had a great experience. They were very helpful and shipped quickly. The horn is exactly as described and even toots! What sold me is the screws are not all hogged out and the front is not corroded and has very crisp logo. It should clean up nicely!
Does anyone know if the screws were painted with the horn or plated or maybe black phosphate?
Now I just need to find an attachment bracket for the old horn as Simon didn't have one.
Jim
Attachments
HF.jpg

VintageJim

Post by VintageJim »

I have finally gotten around to restoring the horn and am amazed at the pristine condition! After all these years it never leaked and the gasket is intact! And look at the engineering and quality of the parts. Amazing. All the screws had not been disturbed. I will carefully clean and paint it.
Attachments
IMG_3250.jpeg
IMG_3246.jpeg
IMG_3244.jpeg
IMG_3243.jpeg