If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Burning Oil R60/2 /Math Question

brettironbutt

Burning Oil R60/2 /Math Question

Post by brettironbutt »

Hello!
Brett writing again from Sweden. I am planning a longer ride this summer, Sweden to Morocco, which is about 2000 miles there and back, plus probably another 1000 in Morocco. 5k total. I did 4350miles in 7.5 days from NC to Mexico in 2012 where I surprised Vech for a visit on the way (pic proof enclosed)! In reading the owners manual, it says that it burns about 1qt to 1.5 qts per 1000 miles. If I change the oil every 1500 miles, that is at least 2qts burned between oil changes. If I get about 150miles per tank of gas, I figure that is 10 gas ups between oil changes, and that means I should add about 200ml of oil per stop for gas. So... 10 stops for gas between oil change is 2L of oil added. That is all of the original oil burned up.

Does my math seem right? For a trip of 5000, that is at least 2-3 oil changes, which is too much for me to carry on the bike with me. Plus, that is another 6 litres burned on the trip. I am just figuring this out. I normally carry 2l of Castrol in the green liter cans, plus a half a liter in a dishsoap bottle for easy topping up.

I use the original oil pan with a large magnet from Vech, plus a magnet on the plug. Someone on this forum suggested changing oil every 1000 miles, which compounds my challenge. I am also considering the deep pan to increase the overall amount of oil.... but again that compounds my issue. I also was nervous having something aluminium that could be punctured and impossible to repair on the road.

Any tips on oil management for a stock R60/2 appreciated!

Brett
Attachments
012.JPG

weh8127

Re: Burning Oil R60/2 /Math Question

Post by weh8127 »

So... 10 stops for gas between oil change is 2L of oil added. That is all of the original oil burned up.

Well, no. Some of the original oil is burned and some of the new oil is burned, since they are mixed. But, ALL of the nasty stuff left behind from burned oil is still there. You really need to change it. That being said, going 3000 miles with just topping up as necessary shouldn't be a problem if its not your regular schedule.

Where are you going that there will be no new motor oil available along the way?
Bill Husted
Barre, MA USA
1963 R60/2 w/ 1955 Steib S500
1973 R75/5

brettironbutt

Post by brettironbutt »

I can get oil along the way.... just as long as I can find the old green tin Castrol, or VR1 single grade. When traveling in Germany, and Europe in general, it is only specialty shops that have the old mineral oil, and it never seems to line up with where I am. Germany, France, Spain, Portugal and then Morocco. I know of a place in Stuttgart that is open on weekdays. They typically have MOTUL, or a range of synthetics... same as in Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland and Czech last year.... I was afraid of having to use regular oil. Appreciate you reading my post though, and answering! Thanks!

Seek

Post by Seek »

Maybe let go of your fear of more modern oil? These bikes are not very choosy to what kind of oil you feed them. Straight oil, multigrade, synthetic. Any oil is way better then no oil.

brettironbutt

Post by brettironbutt »

Thanks Seek! I just found some Motul Classic SAE 30 that has 1800 ppm zinc.... and looks widely available in Europe! Appreciate the advice!
Brett

cwf

Post by cwf »

Hello, assuming you're not going to sit on the motorway at 80mph and your bike is in good shape, I think you'll find you use much less oil. I run a c30,000 mile 50/2 and use about half a pint (250ml) in 2000 mixed miles, max 60mph. At moderate speeds, long distance and running almost always well warmed up uses the least amount of oil for me.

Charlie.
75/7+ offroad sidecar; 50/2; R 35; XR125V; XR200A; Solex; 1939 Hillman Minx DHC.

Micha

Post by Micha »

Not related to the issue of burning the oil, but related to the issue of burning.
I respectfully and politely would like recommend that you protect yourself from the sun.
The sunburn you have is not a temporary thing. Our body remembers. I see it here: riders invest in luxury helmets and premium riding equipment, but do not protect their face and eyes. I am writing this to you from the skin oncology department of Sheba Hospital in Israel. Please take care of yourself.
Michael Steinmann
R51/3 1952
Engine Nr. 529466

Slash2

Post by Slash2 »

While that may very well be what the owner's manual states, that has not been my experience with any of my 60's era BMW's unless I'm running them wide open on the highway averaging north of 70MPH which I have only ever done a handful of times. My bike didn't seem to mind at all but I did note an increased consumption of oil. If you're not pushing the bike to the limit and holding it there, I see very little consumption at all and wouldn't really worry about it on a trip of that length. I'd pack 3 quarts and change it half way, keep the 3rd as back up to "top off" as potentially necessary. (I'm also assuming that your bike is in good mechanical shape.)

That being said, if you intend to run the bike wide open for 5000 miles I might suggest choosing a different bike. Either way, it sure sounds like an adventure and I wish you fair weather and good luck along the way!

-Chris
Western Pennsylvanian - Airhead Extraordinaire

malmac

Post by malmac »

I see you can buy Zinc additive. So if you had some on board, maybe you could be a little more flexible with oil selection.

Also advice on how often oil should be changed is a grey one. Obviously lots of short runs would require more regular oil changes and one long run of 5,000 miles (say a reliability run with multiple riders where the engine never cooled down) might possibly be achieved with just one oil change. All very theoretical, but worth thinking about.

Mal
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia

xackley

Post by xackley »

These threads always make me think you guys think these are delicate machines?

Back in the 70s and 80s when I was on the road it was as simple as check the oil level and color. Add oil when near min. Dump a quart or so when I didn't like the color and start again with 2 new quarts. Short term zinc will not be missed, and any oil is better than no oil.
VR1 40w is getting harder to find on the shelf (NAPA seems best bet), but a quart or two doesn't take much space in a saddle bag.
67k without overhaul and still the same compression and still accelerates and cruises at 70+mph, just like it did in 1978 when it had 12k on the odo.
1958 R69, 1972 R75/5, 1980 XS650, 1982 GL1100, 2003 guzzi ev, 2017 guzzi V7!!!
All on the road, going no where in particular in the Finger Lakes of New York