If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Burning Oil R60/2 /Math Question

Seek

Re: Burning Oil R60/2 /Math Question

Post by Seek »

Yeah, I think people are way overthinking this whole oil thing. The oil in the fifties was pretty crude compared to the cheapest now available. I just run supermarket stuff. 20W50 at first, but nowadays 15W40 seems to be the deal. The whole zinc debate is also overhyped.

Use oil, change often.

brettironbutt

Re: Burning Oil R60/2 /Math Question

Post by brettironbutt »

Three thoughts:
1. Micah.... I got that sunburn on my first day riding from North Carolina to Mississippi, and I very much regretted it. I have not moved to a full face helmet and long sleeves. Thanks for caring, honestly.
2. I have learned a lot from this thread, thank you. I am buying some zddp additive, which will give me some options on the road. I cannot find VR1 here in Europe, and I do not want to spend my time on the road looking for castrol xl classic or motul.... I think I will also carry 2l for one replacement, and a half to top up.
3. Full disclosure, I bought my bike from the first owner in 2009. (It was a 1968... his baby). It had 17k on it, and I rode it 4k before it failed. Rear bearing failed. I am not sure what the cause was, but I was not aware of the oil usage, so I changed it every 2k miles, and I suppose it was pretty low when I changed it again. That may have been the reason I had to rebuild the engine, or it might have just been bad luck. I like long rides, and one of the things I like about the R60s is that they are don't have all that many parts that fail. I have never been stranded, and most of the people I see using their traveling insurance to ship their bikes home have modern machines, where a circuit board or some other part has screwed them.

I really appreciated the engagement, thank you!