If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R50 exhaust nut replacement

Logan246

R50 exhaust nut replacement

Post by Logan246 »

I cut the round, perforated exhaust nuts off my 1960 R50 to avoid damage to the exhaust port threads. That worked fine and preserved the threads. I assume I will have to replace the header because new exhaust nuts can't be slipped on either from the front or the rear. However, I see that some suppliers sell the perforated exhaust nuts separate from the headers. Does that mean there is some way to replace the exhaust nuts on the header that I haven't been able to figure out? Does anyone have a suggestion? Thanks.

therealkennyboy

Re: R50 exhaust nut replacement

Post by therealkennyboy »

Ken Walker
Scottsdale, AZ, USA
1960 R60 (currently), 1974 R75/6 (past), 1981 R100CS (currently), 1984 R100RS (past), 1989 K100RS (past)

monson2765

Post by monson2765 »

Several years ago, I was assembling a 61 R50S. I had chrome pipes but decided to go with a stainless steel. It had a R50-60 nut on it. I cut the pipe at the spot where the strap covers the pipe when the motor mount holds the exhaust pipe. The R50S has a R69S type nut. If welded with a TIG welder, it might not mess up the chrome much and should work out. That was why I chose stainless as it welded and can be polished. Of course, the welding would cost. If you do the cut route, make sure you make a couple of lines on the pipes so the welding doesn't mate it together so the so the pipes will not line as before you cut them. D Monson

jwonder

Post by jwonder »

I went a different route for my R 50 S. I basically made a female flange that I was able to slip inside the nut and seat on a small lip on the exhaust. This allows me to remove the nut whenever I wish and seals great! Many miles and still great.

Here is what I did:

1) I ground the flange down just enough to remove the original finned nuts. This left about 1/2 the flange height that was there originally.
2) I then got a thrust ring from an R 69 S https://bmwclassicmotorcycles.com/index ... 8114090254
3) I machined the outside down to where it was within about .020" of fitting into the nut (I forget the exact measurement but it was close to that)
4) I then made an angle cut in the thrust ring to allow me to squeeze the ring and slide it in the nut.
5) I wanted it to fit quite tight on the pipe when compressed, in order to get a good grip on the leftover flange, so I needed to play with the outside diameter and the angle cut width to get the best fit.
6) Once this was done and I verified it would work, I had the exhaust chromed.
7) The copper gasket crushes to fill any small gaps that might be there, but it is quite a good seal.

One other thing I was able to do with this setup is machine a spacer to go between the nut and the ring in order to space the nut a bit away from the head. It really allowed me to tune both sides to fit exactly and be exactly the same distance from the head side to side.

I have original pipes, original nuts and I am able to take them off if I need to do that! :D
James Wonder
Vice President, Vintage BMW Motorcycle Owners
2022 BMW Friend Of the Marque
Long Island, New York