If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Breather pipe removal tips? Bmwr25/2

paddywack

Breather pipe removal tips? Bmwr25/2

Post by paddywack »

I have a breather pipe on the front engine cover which is kept in with a pin and I’m trying to figure out how to push out that pin to remove to replace the breather pipe since it is crimped. It is a bmw r25/2. The part is off the bike since replacing the timing chain. Just don’t want to damage the cover and no pin punch I can find I feel fits the bill. Thank you for any help.

jwonder

Re: Breather pipe removal tips? Bmwr25/2

Post by jwonder »

This can be a problem.

If I understand your message correctly, it seems like the breather pipe is going to be replaced. If that’s the case, you can cut the breather pipe off and then reach up with needle nose pliers to pull the pin out. Not the best way of doing it but if you’re replacing the breather pipe anyway it is a way of making it happen. Leave enough of the pipe to pull it out.

Another way I have used is a bent nail and working the pin from the back. It’s not easy but I have gotten that to work.

Patience is key here and I hope this helped.
James Wonder
Vice President, Vintage BMW Motorcycle Owners
2022 BMW Friend Of the Marque
Long Island, New York

vechorik1373

Post by vechorik1373 »

The removal of the pin requires a 2 mm pin punch.
since you don't have one, find a pin punch that is slightly larger, and you can chuck it up in a battery drill, and use a vertical belt sander to "turn it down" by spinning the punch with the drill, and carefully reduce the diameter by holding it up to the belt of the vertical belt sander.

The new vent tubes that are available are polished stainless steel. For the R25/2 it would be an 11 15 0 001 114.1
I had them in stock when I owned Bench Mark Works.
Now, NONE of the new vent tubes are drilled for the pin. The reason being that no two holes drilled into the aluminum cover for the vent pin are in the same place! So if you replace the tube, you will have to drill the hole for the pin. The way to do this, is to take a small punch and sharpen the end on the belt sander to a pencil point, put the tube into the cover, and use the sharpened pin punch to mark the tube. It is best to use a slightly larger drill bit when drilling the tube, or you may find you'll never get the pin to go clean through everything. Then you must remove it and carefully drill the hole through the tube.
The replacement pin is now a split 2 mm diameter roll pin. 07 11 9 945 115 is the part number. Be sure and bevel one end with the belt sander to help it get started and successfully drive it through everything when installing the tube.
Vech
Technical Adviser, Former owner, Bench Mark Works
662 312 2838 cell 9 am to 4pm CST PLEASE!

paddywack

Post by paddywack »

Thank you to both of you. Got it out now time to put a new one in. Happy New year!