If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Lube speedo cable

jimkav

Lube speedo cable

Post by jimkav »

Speedo started bouncing a bit in cooler weather & I could hear cable whining.
Suggestions on lubing cable?
Can I pull inner metal cable out, degrees & lube then re-install when both sides are disconnected or does the whole outer jacket need to be removed from moto?

schrader7032

Re: Lube speedo cable

Post by schrader7032 »

If you want to lube the cable as a temporary fix, take the entire cable out of the bike and hang it up. Then put lube into the top and let gravity do its job! Best bet is to replace the cable.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

jimkav

Post by jimkav »

sherman980

Post by sherman980 »

Best to remove it, pull the inner core out and clean the both the inner and outer before you just lube it. Takes an extra few minutes. I use brake cleaner on both. Spray some using the tube that comes with the can of brake cleaner into the outer sheath, blow it out with compressed air and repeat until the no more gunk comes out. I do a quick prelube of the outer sheath before I put the the inner back in, and than lube the complete assembly. I start with a graphite based lock lubricant and follow with a little low viscosity oil (3-in-1 works just fine). Let the assembled cable hang for an hour or two until it stops dripping and put back on the bike. Never had one break on prewar through airhead rides over hundreds of thousands of miles. Just part of regular service... I do brake and clutch cables the same way other than they need to be done assembled.

Note: Once you inspect your inner cable while it's apart, if it's damaged, then yes, a replacement may be necessary... If the outer has a kink, same...

Hope that helps.
Thanks.
Chuck S

jimkav

Post by jimkav »

Thanks Chuck!

r67boxer

Post by r67boxer »

You might want to take a good look at the speedo too (or have an expert inspect it). I had a similar thing happen to a /5 speedo. Unfortunately I was on the highway so couldn't hear any noises but the speedo was doing a serious dance. By the time I stopped it had stopped. The cable was new and upon inspection moving freely, by the way.

Kevin