If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Handlebars Slipping in Clamps on my R26

benash3939

Handlebars Slipping in Clamps on my R26

Post by benash3939 »

Hello again.

I've had this 1959 R26 as second owner since the mid 70's. A frustrating to me issue has always been that the bars will slip in the clamps. When the bar clamps are fully tight the bars will still move and slide about.

Is there something simple that I've been missing? I know that I can probably fit or make some shims to fit around the bars so that the clamps pinch things up. BUT - since there has NEVER been anything done to those clamps I'm wondering just why I have never been able to keep the bars from slipping in the mounts after all these years.

Has anyone else had this problem with /2 bar moutnings?

Ray
Ray

Tinkertimejeff

Re: Handlebars Slipping in Clamps on my R26

Post by Tinkertimejeff »

Loosen the clamps, spread them a little and work a little bit of valve grinding compound into the gap between the bar and clamping surface. then get your bars set in your preferred position and tighten the clamps down. It has always worked for me!

Seek

Post by Seek »

Do you have the wedges in there? BMW part nr. 20 72 223.

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Seek wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:24 pm
Wedges? Aren't those used for the control perches at the end of the bars? I didn't think wedges were used where the bars are clamped to the risers.

As far as you know are the risers original to the bike? Could they have been changed?
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Rodolfo850

Post by Rodolfo850 »

Remove clamps and check handlebar for deformation caused by previous over-tight

Clean with solvent to remove any grease, could cut small grooves with a Dremel with a small cutting disc, just to increase friction holding surface.

Also can GLUE it with Green loctite 638, used as retaining compound, or a small shim stock piece.

Regards

Rodolfo

Seek

Post by Seek »

schrader7032 wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:47 pm
Seek wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:24 pm
Wedges? Aren't those used for the control perches at the end of the bars? I didn't think wedges were used where the bars are clamped to the risers.

As far as you know are the risers original to the bike? Could they have been changed?
Oh sorry, I had the wrong image in my mind.

niall4473

Post by niall4473 »

When I had my R26, I also had this problem, I solved it by making some steel sleeves out of 8mm bore pipe and experimenting with the length until the handlebar clamps tightened up solid, but without the rubber bushes flopping about, to be honest I couldn't see how it could have worked without them, and always suspected that something similar was missing.
Oil is always cheaper than metal

benash3939

Post by benash3939 »

A ton of good ideas. First - AFAIN the bars were never removed before I bought the bike as second owner in the "way back" time. There's a good story about that, how I knew the owner, etc.

So back to the subject - I am confident that the stanchions/bar pillars are originals. 99.5% sure nothing was removed and replaced on this bike. Always slipped since I owned it. Thing is under running conditions and riding I never had an issue. I only notice it as a PIA when I am moving the bike around. I.E. in/out of the garage and working on it in general.

Makes me wonder if this was a "feature" of 6 day trial use. Let the bars move, not break..

Always thought "I should fix this" and really - "Oh yeah, BMW quality isn't perfect, they made mistakes too :-)" Another long story there regarding my saga with a 1st year R90/6 :-).

Anyhow - looks like since there are no parts missing some folks might have had pillars that were just a tad out of spec and need some twiddling. I couldn't find anything in the vintage books I have that suggested a missing part.

I do have an original parts book and manual from the way back time with the old parts numbers.

I figure some brass stock shims or the paste might just work. As I pick my spot to solve this I might just start with some brass 10k thick brass shim material. It's a PIA to have to remove the bars from the pillars and remediate in my driveway. I have to pick a warm day now.

Thanks for all the help. I will post up with final resolution.

Ray
Ray

Tinkertimejeff

Post by Tinkertimejeff »

You don't have to remove the handle bars to shim or use some type of abrasive paste. Just do one riser at a time! I would recommend against the dremmel and grove fix as it might allow moisture in and rust to form which would eventually become a bigger problem.

benash3939

Post by benash3939 »

Yeah - I don't plan on removing the bars. I'll start by placing some shim stock after loosening up the risers. Pretty sure that should fix it. On the dremel fix - I don't like to do anything permanent like that unless absolutely necessary.

I'll post back up with my results.
Ray