If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Handlebars Slipping in Clamps on my R26

San Arthur

Re: Handlebars Slipping in Clamps on my R26

Post by San Arthur »

I remember having the exact same problem. Handlebar was moving down and the high beam switch almost scratched the tank.

My friend Chris King solved the problem by ordering all the right hardware from Vech and problem solved. Is amazing what the right washers in the right sequence will do.

San Arthur in San Antonio, Texas
'58 R26 '76 R90S '88 R100RS '94 R100GS/PD

benash3939

Post by benash3939 »

THIS is what I was hoping to find. The shop and parts manuals I have don't really show this all that well. I'll have another look at them, check to see if I have the proper/complete hardware and order it. Thanks San Arthur!
Ray

Bob Allan

Post by Bob Allan »

Agreed that you need the right parts to secure the R26 handlebars properly. Fortunately they're all available, I bought mine from Mark Huggett.
Citing the Barrington Book, while you're fixing the handlebars you might like to consider running a wire from one of the top clamps to connection 31 on the headlight switch. The R26 handlebars are entirely rubber mounted & are'nt earthed to the frame, relying on the cables for earthing. Running that wire improves the earthing.

benash3939

Post by benash3939 »

Thanks Bob, all. I'll be having a look next few days and order what I need to set things right. Not positive at the moment if my hardware is correctly installed or present, etc.
Ray