If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Getting some oil on the rear tray...

Micha

Getting some oil on the rear tray...

Post by Micha »

Good Morning,
The engine hasn't been driven much since it was rebuilt, and I'm now finding very little oil back there.
Not much and I check oil before every trip and add if necessary, but still the issue interests me.
Although the topic of internal pressure in the sump is currently popular on the forum, I actually suspect the crankshaft's rear oil seal (BMW 11110001122), which leads me to the question: is it critical to use an original oil retaining washer? Or is it possible to assemble a generic viton seal, resistant to oil of course and high temperatures and of course in the right dimensions?
Does the "original" oil returner have a certain geometry? I just don't remember what I used. I do remember that I assembled according to the manufacturer's instructions, which require the gasket to protrude 1 mm out outside the bearing housing.
Michael Steinmann
R51/3 1952
Engine Nr. 529466

808Airhead

Re: Getting some oil on the rear tray...

Post by 808Airhead »

You will get some oil on the rear tray after a rebuild,until the rings seat. It is a odd phenomenon,but I noticed on short drives I would occasionally see a small amount of oil,but on longer rides,without shifting and revving engine up and down as much, there would be no oil. Now that my bikes are broken in the oil has stopped completely. This only happened on my 2 plunger bikes,my Earls fork never leaked a drop,I wonder if it is because of the improved breather system?
Thomas M.
R69S - R60/2 - R67/2 - R51/3 - R69