If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R50 rear axle installation

kenrcruise

R50 rear axle installation

Post by kenrcruise »

Despite having removed and re-installed rear wheels numerous times on my R60/2 and R60/6 I am stumped with my R50 rear axle! Part of the problem is that it has been disassembled down to the frame for nearly 10 years. I sold my R60/2 in 2015, so I can't do comparisons.

Upon inserting the rear axle spindle on the left side, the bore of the thick end is too small, with an obvious gap between it and the opening. Also the threaded end does not come through to the point where one can screw on the bolt and washer on the right side. I must have the wrong axle! I believe my next step is to buy another axle, as I no longer have the original.

I will call my local shop to see if thgey have a used original, and pick it up this week.

Comments?

Ken Cruise
Ken Cruise

Slash2

Re: R50 rear axle installation

Post by Slash2 »

Sounds like you've solved your dilemma here and it is likely that you've got the wrong axle. Could it be a front wheel axle or a single's axle?
Western Pennsylvanian - Airhead Extraordinaire

kenrcruise

Re: R50 rear axle installation

Post by kenrcruise »

/5 axle: 29.4 cm. as opposed to 31cm. I ordered the correct one (stainless) from Capital Cycle, but will get an old one for when I am working on it, as Barrington manual suggests.

Thank you!

Ken Cruise
Ken Cruise