If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R26 Won't Start after Carb Rebuild

benash3939

R26 Won't Start after Carb Rebuild

Post by benash3939 »

Hello:

Thought I might be able to get some pointers here.

I have a '59 R26, I'm second owner. I recently had the tank re-lined professionally and the original carb rebuilt professionally (Bing Agency).

I just completed reassembl a few days ago. Battery fully charged, have spark, carb floods when tickled, etc.

Won't start. Pulled the plug, looked like it was getting fuel. Set it against cylinder and saw spark across the gap while kicking. Pulled air cleaner sprayed some starting fluid - NG.

Anyone have ideas on what else to check? I don't have information on the basic settings of air/fuel mixture jet or idle jet, but I figure after flooding with the tickler it should at least try to run. I've tried holding the throttle open and various settings to no avail.

With what appeara to be flooding after the using the plunger, seeing spark at the plug gap It should still at least try IMHO.

Air temps over the last few days have been quite warm 60-70 degrees.

It was never a hard starter.

I'm flummoxed after spraying some starter fluid into the air horn after removing the air filter. Figured fur sure I'd get some effort to start.

Any suggestion appreciated.

Also - I am not averse to having a professional have a look. I'd like to have it running before stowing for the winter. I'm in the Philadelphia, PA USA area. Bob's BMW did a full service on it a few years back, very happy with them but it's down in Maryland. I would like to find someone closer if anyone herr can recommend a reliable service provider in the Philadelphia/King of Prussia area.

It just seems that I'm missing something simple.

Ray
Last edited by benash3939 on Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ray

schrader7032

Re: R26 Won't Start after Carb Rebuild

Post by schrader7032 »

Ray, is this bike new to you? Did the bike run before the carb rebuild?
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

benash3939

Post by benash3939 »

Bike is not new to me. I've had it since the 70's. Always started rather easily. About 18 months ago it was bogging at full throttle. Inspected and found sludge in the tank and in the carb.

Had tank re-lined and carb rebuilt.

Just now getting it back together. Was running before removing tank and carb.

Replaced fuel lines, petcock, rubber connector between airbox and carb.

Ray
Ray

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Hi , sorry to hear about your bike , very frustrating , as you say if fuel is getting into the cylinder and there's a spark it should fire ...has the timing been altered in any way since the last time the bike was running? if not then it should run, if you hold the throttle fully open when the carb is flooded that will let enough air in to ignite the fuel ,is the fuel fresh ? im sure you'll soon get the better of it ,usually turns out something simple.
Andrew

therealkennyboy

Post by therealkennyboy »

I always start with making sure the idle jet isn't plugged, and making sure the idle passage is clear, but that is usually if it has been sitting a while. A blast of carb cleaner through the main jet (after removing the idle jet) and observe the tiny idle opening in the throat for the spray coming through. I would not automatically assume that whoever rebuilt the carbs set the mixture and idle screws to their proper defaults, or set the needle to its default. Unless they specifically stated they did.
Per the Bing book, an R26 should have a .35 idle jet (it's etched on the side of the jet, when you remove it), the needle should be clip position #3, and the air mixture screw 1 1/2 turns out. Confirm that you are starting from those settings--if you have spark (and never messed with the ignition timing) and compression, I'd think it should want to start. A fresh plug is highly recommended.

Edited.
Ken Walker
Scottsdale, AZ, USA
1960 R60 (currently), 1974 R75/6 (past), 1981 R100CS (currently), 1984 R100RS (past), 1989 K100RS (past)

skyler.robbins

Post by skyler.robbins »

What's your compression?

Tinkertimejeff

Post by Tinkertimejeff »

New spark plug? Correct gap?

dellatorre6708

Post by dellatorre6708 »

If the only thing you did was rebuild the carb. Make sure all is in the right places and jets are clear. If you're getting fuel to the plug and good spark, I'd make sure your slide isn't jammed in the open position. A fellow brought me a single that wouldn't start and that was the issue, the slide was jammed in the full open position.
Frank. NYC.
Frank,
NYC

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Bing rebuilt the carb so you wonder if the problem might be somewhere else! ;)
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Slash2

Post by Slash2 »

Years ago Vech told me that he basically needed to flood the carb to start his single and so I dutifully started mine this way for years and it was an absolute bitch to start. One day while operating with a clear head I thought to myself that no two twins seem to like the exact same starting sequence and perhaps what works for Vech might not work for me. That day I turned on the fuel, didn't tickle the carb at all, didn't touch the throttle and she fired on the first kick AND has continued to do so ever since.

I say this simply to illustrate the various natures of these machines. Perhaps your starting sequence pre rebuild is not so great post rebuild. Try starting it without flooding the carb and if that doesn't work, verify Bings work next.

Good luck and if you're reading this Vech, no offense intended!
Western Pennsylvanian - Airhead Extraordinaire