If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R26 Won't Start after Carb Rebuild

benash3939

Re: R26 Won't Start after Carb Rebuild

Post by benash3939 »

Everyone - thanks for all the input.

First thing I'll do based on my experience with the bike is to reset the air mixture screw setting as I try starting without flooding the carb.

Since I've owned the bike I've just automatically flood the carb.

I did verify with the rebuilder that the float and jet needle settings were set to spec as well as all defaults. It is a "factory" rebuild on the carb completed in the last few weeks as it was sent to the Bing Agency in Kansas.

After that I will do other recommended checks.

I will follow up with what I find and final resolution, etc.

Thanks again for all your input!

Ray
Ray

San Arthur

Post by San Arthur »

Ray, are you using fresh gasoline?
A rebuild carburetor does no exempt it from a blocked jet or passage, bad needle position or faulty piston. Can you see the piston moving with the throttle?

Can you borrow a carburetor and try again?
How are the coil, condenser, plug, wire and points? Weak or strong spark?

The 2 only new things to the R26 are the tank liner and carb rebuilt? Anything else changed since your last start?
Significant or insignificant?

Maybe a bad ground that disconnects when you kick start the bike or rotate the advance?

Good luck
San Arthur in San Antonio, Texas
'58 R26 '76 R90S '88 R100RS '94 R100GS/PD

benash3939

Post by benash3939 »

Hey folks - wanted to get back after all the support and input. I've always hated when someone would ask me for help then not get back to me afterwards on the final resolution.

To that point - everyone here posted up on the basic and routine elements that would apply and I thank all of you for the refresher on basic trouble shooting methods.

Bottom line is that I did get it running today. What I found in my case was that there was a simple change in the starting drill after the carb rebuild as delivered from Bing Agency https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... q8HGoAG9N8.

I found in my case as slash2 mentioned up thread is that I didn't need to totally flood the carb as I have done since owning the bike for the last 45 years or so. I simply reset the air screw to 1.5 turns out, did not totally flood with the tickler as therealkennyboy suggested. It started!

After that I couldn't get the idle to lower even after fully retracting the idle screw. So looks like I need to lubricate the cable and make sure the slide is not hanging up. Since this is a fresh rebuild I'm thinking I'll lube the throtttle cable and make sure that the slide is sitting/bottoming out.

Thanks for all of your help and support.
Ray

Slash2

Post by Slash2 »

Glad to hear your issue has been resolved and thanks for letting us know what it took to get her starting reliably again.
Western Pennsylvanian - Airhead Extraordinaire

Daves79x

Post by Daves79x »

Did you change the relationship of the meshed gears in the throttle housing? That may be holding the slide open. In any case, a slide being held open is a big problem when cold starting. So glad you are getting there!

Dave
Dave

benash3939

Post by benash3939 »

Haven't had a look to see what I think to be slide hanging high. It is quite possible that I might have to play with the lubrication, adjustments of the cable. I did check the rebuild before installing and the slide was moving free and bottoming. So may just be a need to put slack in the cable and see whats up.

I've never in all these years had to play with the gear placement in the throttle control, but there is always a first time.

I'm thinking first attempt is to take out all slack on the throttle cable adjuster at the carb top.
Ray

Daves79x

Post by Daves79x »

You have an adjuster right on top of the carb too, I think - not sure about the singles though. Guess I assumed you already did that. Yes, get all the slack you can get and see if the slide bottoms, then adjust free-play to suit.

Dave
Dave

benash3939

Post by benash3939 »

Yep - loosened up that adjuster on top of the carb and all good. Adjusted idle fine. Took it for a ride. I do have some bind as I was stowing the bike. If I turn the bars the idle picked up. Easy fix. I feel lots better when the bikes go back in for winter while they are running :-)

Thanks again for all the help.
Ray