If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Grooved pavement = terrifying!!!!

r67boxer

Re: Grooved pavement = terrifying!!!!

Post by r67boxer »

"Loosening your grip on the bars will let the front end float a bit until you can get past that section. Slowing down will help some, too."

Kurt is correct. A good friend once told me 'loosey goosey' with the handlebars is best on less than ideal road conditions. Don't over react.

Kevin

jeffrey

Post by jeffrey »

tboooe wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:40 am
Thank you. What size do you use? No issues using the stock rim?
100/90/18 for front and rear. No issues with stock rims.

tboooe

Post by tboooe »

r67boxer@gmail.com wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:09 am
"Loosening your grip on the bars will let the front end float a bit until you can get past that section. Slowing down will help some, too."

Kurt is correct. A good friend once told me 'loosey goosey' with the handlebars is best on less than ideal road conditions. Don't over react.

Kevin
Thanks guys! I actually do have a very light grip. I actually dont even wrap my fingers around the clutch side grip and only use my pinky and ring fingers around the throttle.

Its just that I have never felt my bike feel that loose over the rain groove on the highway. But that being said, all of my bikes have modern tires. I guess I just need to get used to it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tommy
1967 R69s + a bunch of Ducatis

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

How's the steering stem bearings? They should be tight but not too tight, said Goldilocks. I think that with the front wheel off the ground, pushing the handlebars to one side from center, they should not speed up and prang off the stop. But if you push them a bit and they stay in that position, that might be too tight.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

cwf

Post by cwf »

The French started putting longitudinal grooves (rainurages) on their main roads about 30 years ago. They didn't affect cars but scared motorcyclists. I don't remember any sympathy from the authorities but motorcyclists eventually felt that it feels dreadful but the only risk is to your confidence, assuming all is well with the bike.

Charlie.
75/7+ offroad sidecar; 50/2; R 35; XR125V; XR200A; Solex; 1939 Hillman Minx DHC.

jgreen

Post by jgreen »

Your use of the term “puckered” is the same term I use for the same experience. I put Continental go tires on my 1973 R 75/5, and it made a world of difference. I haven’t done that on my/2 bikes, which have given me all sorts of other issues, such that I will not take them on roads that have those longitudinal Sipes.

c8h18

Post by c8h18 »

Hi Folks,

We all have different preferences. I like the modern tires on our bikes. Here is my review of the Avon Road Riders.

Working link in post below. Sorry for the error.

Best to all,

Greg
Last edited by c8h18 on Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

c8h18

Post by c8h18 »

Hi Folks,

We all have different preferences. I like the modern tires on our bikes. Here is my review of the Avon Road Riders.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5326&p=43278&hilit= ... ers#p43278

Best to all,

Greg