If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

De-rusting R25/2 Tank

schrader7032

Re: De-rusting R25/2 Tank

Post by schrader7032 »

I actually saw that the other day. I've been to our local store and they usually don't have much in stock. I wonder how many I have to buy! But I'll certainly drop in and check...got to find them again!
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

r67boxer

Post by r67boxer »

tboooe wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:14 pm
Kurt, if you use EvapoRust you wont need to worry about the paint. Instead of using the gas cap, I just moved the tank around (flat, left side, right side, standing on its nose) to make sure the EvapoRust soaked the entire tank. Its as easy as soak, drain, rinse. I didnt have to do any work afterwards.
In addition to that Evaporust is non toxic and biodegradable. I've used it for years and swear by it, not at it.

Kevin

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

OK, I think I have the tank inlet taken care of like I wanted. At a local plumber's place, I found an item which is a 3-inch coupler...it's the two pieces on the left. The rubber part fits inside the clamp on the left. I ended up cutting one side of the coupler rubber off and trimming a bit so that it fits down over the lip on the tank...the lip is a little less than 0.5-inches tall. This "o-ring" fits pretty well and takes up the slack so that I can slip the flexible end cap for a 3-inch pipe, which I discovered had an ID greater than 3-inch. It fits over the o-ring nicely and then I can clamp down using the hose clamp. It seems to want to stay on. I even blew air into the tank outlet and it seemed to hold air. Now if I can get the crusty gas stuff out of my mouth!

The last thing I want is the M16x1 nut. I've called/visited every place I can think of. I will eventually try order a couple of them from Fastenal.
Attachments
TankCapOn.jpg
TankOring.jpg
TankTopParts.jpg
Kurt in S.A.

Jim D 5112

Post by Jim D 5112 »

Just find an old petcock and use the open nut off of it. Solder a piece of metal over the one open side that does not thread onto the tank. Cut a coin like disc out of a thick piece of rubber that will fit down into the nut and bottom out against the disc that you soldered on. Just tighten it up on to the tank fitting.

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

That's what I hope to do. But I don't have an old petcock that I can sacrifice the nut on.
Kurt in S.A.

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

I even tried going to the local BMW car place...not help there. But I had seen this online...a temporary drain plug nominally 0.5" in diameter...maybe a little less. But the screw head and the rubber were slightly too big to fit. So I spent some time with a drill press filing down the screw head and the rubber stopper. Fits nicely!!
Attachments
TankOutletPlug.jpg
Kurt in S.A.