If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Speaking of mufflers

miller6997

Speaking of mufflers

Post by miller6997 »

If you are thinking of buying Keihan stainless muflers, now may be the time to move ahead. The dollar and the GBP are just about the same. That drastic drop in the pound means that the Keihan mufflers for the R69S, to take one example, can be purchased for under $400 plus shipping. When I bought mine several years ago, the price was double that.

The dollar and the euro are also very close to parity, so parts from Germany will also be favorably priced.
Jon Miller
'67 R69S
'13 F800GT
Altadena, California

Flx48

Re: Speaking of mufflers

Post by Flx48 »

Great tip for all of us, Jon!
Best-
George

tboooe

Post by tboooe »

Yeah I will most likely take advantage of the exchange rate and buy Mark Huggett mufflers for my r69s.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tommy
1967 R69s + a bunch of Ducatis

skychs

Post by skychs »

Thanks for the post. I need a new exhaust for my R69S build. Do you have a link to the dealer selling the pipes?

We were just in Europe last week touring the Dolomites. The dollar and the euro were one for one.
1966 R60/2, 1967 R69S, 1975 R90S, 2020 R1250GSA

Flx48

Post by Flx48 »

There's always a variety of ebay offers for the Keihan exhaust systems, but I'd go right to the source first, and see what kind of price they can offer for pipes/mufflers/shipping and compare to what others want.
The dealers most likely bought their stock before the BPS dropped, or if they didn't, they'll be buying just like you and adding a markup.

keihan.co.uk
or
info@keihan.co.uk

Same for the Huggett exhaust; go to his site and compare his direct CHF price with the price for them at any of our usual parts suppliers or the BMW dealers here.

For myself, I'd certainly be going for the SS system; from experience the stock mufflers didn't last worth a damn here in the temperate jungle of New England, while one of the SS systems I've had in use since the mid '70s, and the other I've only had about 15 years, so the jury is still out.
Unless Mark has altered the stock design (and/or materials) enough to no longer rust from the inside out.
Best-
George

tboooe

Post by tboooe »

Seems like Bob's BMW sells the Keihan mufflers. Not sure who in the US sells the Huggett ones though. Perhaps Max BMW since they purchased Benchmark's inventory?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tommy
1967 R69s + a bunch of Ducatis

Slash2

Post by Slash2 »

I recently took advantage of this opportunity and ordered (2) complete sets of stainless exhaust systems from Keihan UK directly. Even after shipping and import duties to the USA they came in at under $1000 per set which included headers, crossover, all clamps, hardware and of course the silencers. I’ve got (2) R69S projects that will need systems and even though I’m not yet ready to install them, I’m glad they’re on the shelf at what I consider to be a good value.

I have another R69US which has been running a Keihan stainless system for 20+ years and it still looks new.
Western Pennsylvanian - Airhead Extraordinaire

fastcar

Post by fastcar »

Could someone supply a link to the Mark Huggett exhaust? I'm restoring a '67 R69S, thanks.

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Here's Mark's website:

https://www.bmwbike.com/
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.