If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

1956 R26 Resurrection

chris@flintworksllc.com

1956 R26 Resurrection

Post by chris@flintworksllc.com »

I am hoping for some suggestions as I tackle my 4th Earles-fork era BMW project. I recently took in a long-neglected R26 that was “parked when it stopped working” 30 years ago. The photo below shows condition when it came out of the back of the garage. It was originally used in Germany and then brought to the US by an Army serviceman. Some modifications had been done but it appeared complete. There was compression, all transmission gears were functioning as was the clutch. However, the rear drive did not seem to be “connected” to the engine. The pile of disintegrated rubber accumulating under the bike was an indication the fate of the Hardy disc. However, the rear swing arm contained NO drive shaft! Yikes…someone had taken it out and then re-assembled the whole mess. The electrics were in a bad state and the gas tank locking cap had rusted in the locked position. The magnetic drain plug in the oil pan revealed some ferrous metal pieces which looked like roller bearing cage material. Time for total tear down!

My question for the team: I cannot get the pivot axle out of the front fork swing arm. The left side nut comes off easily but I cannot budge the pivot axle with either a hammer and drift from the left or a 24mm socket and breaker bar on the right. I have soaked in PB Blaster. Is there something I am missing here? I don’t recall any such problem for previous R69S or R26 projects. Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Attachments
58A13A7A-EE8D-4A41-9BD7-B142FCC810D4.jpeg

Tinkertimejeff

Re: 1956 R26 Resurrection

Post by Tinkertimejeff »

Use a little heat on the left (threaded) side of the fork not the pivot axle. Use a torch but don't get it glowing hot, once it starts to move keep it moving until its just about out. My last three Earles Fork bikes had frozen stuff everywhere including the pivot axle.

jwonder

Post by jwonder »

Heat it and unscrew it. I forget if there are threads in the fork of the R 26. I would heat the fork and then try to unscrew it, and if that does not work, lightly hist with a drift. It should not be too tight once you heat it up.
James Wonder
Vice President, Vintage BMW Motorcycle Owners
2022 BMW Friend Of the Marque
Long Island, New York

Tinkertimejeff

Post by Tinkertimejeff »

There are threads on the left side fork, I just happen to have one sitting in my shop as you read. It's for a very special project to be reveled at a later date. Torch heat but not to much, back it all the way out and chase the threads before you reassemble.

chris@flintworksllc.com

Thank you for responses and suggestions. So far, no movement from the pivot axle despite heat to the fork ends and penetrant. I may have to weld a nut on the right end to allow the 24 mm socket and breaker bar more secure grip (the present head was a little chewed up from prior hard life). Will let you know how it goes…

chris@flintworksllc.com

Here is some follow up regarding the frozen pivot axle…it was really stuck! The solution required welding a wrench onto the right side of the pivot in as shown below. The removed pieces were very rusty.
Attachments
B5BB8001-2650-4C84-88CA-BA41BAB141CB.jpeg
4F8548CE-A955-49AB-9084-6805116217CE.jpeg

Daves79x

Post by Daves79x »

Wow! I took apart a basket case R60/2 that had sat outside in PA for at least 15 years. Everything came apart just fine, even the part you are struggling with. Was it under salt water?

Dave
Dave