If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R69s or r50/2?

tboooe

R69s or r50/2?

Post by tboooe »

Hello, I am a long time admirer of these bikes and am finally about to buy my first BMW (long time Ducati owner). Honestly, the thing that has kept me from buying a BMW sooner was just not knowing enough about the bikes, what it will take to maintain them, and understanding the little differences between models. I've been doing my research and while I know I have a lot to learn I think I am in position where I feel some level of confidence about buying one so I am trying to decide between the R60s and R50/2. Assuming both bikes are in similar, great condition and level or originality which would you get and why? I intend to ride this bike though my main goal would be to buy a collectible, preserve it and keep for a long time along with my other rare Ducatis. I dont see myself putting more than 750-1000 miles on the bike per year.

Thank you in advance as any input is appreciated. Looking forward to learning more about these bikes!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tommy
1967 R69s + a bunch of Ducatis

schrader7032

Re: R69s or r50/2?

Post by schrader7032 »

Welcome to the forum! Well you've picked the opposite ends of the spectrum for /2 bikes. The R69S is the sportier version and has a lot (relatively speaking) horsepower. The R50/2 is down on that horsepower but has a milder nature. The R50/2 could be considered a little suspect when it comes to keep up with freeway traffic, but if that's not your bag, then it might be just fine. I'm sure there are many opinions!
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

tboooe

Post by tboooe »

schrader7032 wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:07 pm
Welcome to the forum! Well you've picked the opposite ends of the spectrum for /2 bikes. The R69S is the sportier version and has a lot (relatively speaking) horsepower. The R50/2 is down on that horsepower but has a milder nature. The R50/2 could be considered a little suspect when it comes to keep up with freeway traffic, but if that's not your bag, then it might be just fine. I'm sure there are many opinions!
Thank you so much for the reply. I dont intend to take this bike on the freeway. It will be used to putter around my neighborhood, cruise PCH, etc. I have my Ducatis if I want power. I am most interested in collectability and ownership experience.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tommy

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Again, I'm sure others have a wider range of experience then I. I would think that the R69S is more collectible as there were fewer of them made over the years (I think that's right). The R69S being a higher compression engine will behave that way and might take a bit more TLC. The R50/2 is more sedate. You will need to be able to "tinker" with them from time to time. I'm sure you're used to that with the Ducati.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

weh8127

Post by weh8127 »

They all cost the same to restore, so why not go for the top of the line, the R 69 S? Other than that, try to know a good deal when you see it and go for it. You may enjoy the following: https://w6rec.com/1961-sales-brochure/
Bill Husted
Barre, MA USA
1963 R60/2 w/ 1955 Steib S500
1973 R75/5

tboooe

Post by tboooe »

weh8127 wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:43 pm
They all cost the same to restore, so why not go for the top of the line, the R 69 S? Other than that, try to know a good deal when you see it and go for it. You may enjoy the following: https://w6rec.com/1961-sales-brochure/
I was thinking the same. When comparing the ones I am considering, the R50/2 is lower mileage, does seem to a bit nicer with a few more original parts. The price differential between the two is only a few thousand dollars (the R50/2 is more expensive). From the collectability point of view I am leaning towards the R50/2 for the reasons I listed above. I just wasnt sure if there was anything I was missing that would make the R69s the clear cut better choice.
Tommy

808Airhead

Post by 808Airhead »

The Earls fork bikes are indeed distinctive in their timeless looks and style, they have traits that endear, or sometimes repel long term ownership. If you are coming from Ducati, Japanese or British bikes, in comparison, these machines are staid performers, the controls are heavy, the throttle is vague, the gearbox is clonky and has a long learning curve for smooth shifting, suspension is floaty, somewhat like driving a 50's VW Beetle, and like the Beetle, they are simple, very well made, and reliable, as well as great to look at. You will either love it or hate it. Of my 4 bikes the BMW R60/2 is the most pedestrian, but I still love it, the R69S is less tepid and feels a little more exciting with the extra 12 HP. Get the R69S if you are going to get just one, however , unless you have a documented restoration accompanying the bike......"get ready to rebuild the whole goddam thing". That's been MY experience. :lol:
Thomas M.
R69S - R60/2 - R67/2 - R51/3 - R69

tboooe

Post by tboooe »

808Airhead wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:01 am
...If you are coming from Ducati, Japanese or British bikes, in comparison, these machines are staid performers, the controls are heavy, the throttle is vague, the gearbox is clonky and has a long learning curve for smooth shifting, suspension is floaty, somewhat like driving a 50's VW Beetle, and like the Beetle, they are simple, very well made, and reliable, as well as great to look at. You will either love it or hate it. Of my 4 bikes the BMW R60/2 is the most pedestrian, but I still love it, the R69S is less tepid and feels a little more exciting with the extra 12 HP. Get the R69S if you are going to get just one, however , unless you have a documented restoration accompanying the bike......"get ready to rebuild the whole goddam thing". That's been MY experience. :lol:
Thank you for the great advice. I am actually drawn to older bikes precisely for the little quirks you mentioned. Both bikes I am looking at have documented restoration so are ready to ride. That is another criteria I have. I already have enough project bikes in the garage plus with my limited knowledge of these vintage BMWs I know it would take me years to properly restore one so I am willing to pay more for one that is fully and properly restored.

I am still investigating the R69s to better understand how original it is but the R50/2 is definitely a collectable. It has a majority of the original parts like the tool kit, tire pump, rear view mirror, etc. Plus it has been restored by a well known shop. Its pricey and I know I can find cheaper but I know with this one I wont have any issues and wont have to "rebuild the whole goddam thing."!
Tommy

jwonder

Post by jwonder »

The R 69 S is far more collectable and the re-sale value will always be greater. As stated earlier, the R 69 S is also much more fun to ride (I have both an R 50/2 and R 69 S) and can tell you the R 69 S is more fun.

I hope those help in some way!
James Wonder
Vice President, Vintage BMW Motorcycle Owners
2022 BMW Friend Of the Marque
Long Island, New York

808Airhead

Post by 808Airhead »

Here is a video I made 7 years ago. This is Oahu. My pushrods were actually bent and contacting the tubes so it is more noisy than it is now, but still running perfect 10K + miles later after rebuild. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBtBFv136ME&t=428s
Thomas M.
R69S - R60/2 - R67/2 - R51/3 - R69