If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R26 Original Colors

VintageJim

R26 Original Colors

Post by VintageJim »

I have searched the forums and haven't been able to find what the factory color choices were for a 1956 R26 other than Army Green and black. Were they the only choices? I am asking because my "refresh of wiring and rubber" on my recently purchased R26 has turned up surprises that have led to a complete mechanical rebuild. The sheet metal does have a nice black paint job but the frame looks original and now that I have it stripped it will get powder coated. But I am getting so far into this I could now make it a cool color like red or Dover white, and it is a "now or never" decision for me as I hopefully will never have to strip it down again.
Thanks for any info I was unable to find!
Jim

Daves79x

Re: R26 Original Colors

Post by Daves79x »

Make it whatever color you like. However, apart from some very limited police department/government special ordered colors, they only came in black in '56.
Dave

weh8127

Post by weh8127 »

Its always been my understanding that in those years any bike could be special ordered in any color that was available for the cars. So, any of those colors would be "correct". But really, what difference does it make if you enjoy what you choose?
Bill Husted
Barre, MA USA
1963 R60/2 w/ 1955 Steib S500
1973 R75/5

Tinkertimejeff

Post by Tinkertimejeff »

I seriously doubt BMW would set aside one motorcycle for a color change during production, the logistics are an expensive nightmare. They would have to stop production, isolate that units painted parts, clean the spray rig, load a single bike amount of that color and after the spraying is done to the correct standards clean the spray rig and get the assembly line going again.

I do believe BMW would respond to large orders from certain Government agencies such as military and police forces. Later years in the /2 run did have some colors that were found on cars but I think that was an upper management choice and most if not all non Black or Dover White bikes were sent to the US as special order units and done in lots of 20 or more.

The idea that you could choose any color from the car line may very well be an "Urban Legend" spread by some that wish claim they're color choice for restoration is a color that was available for that year and model.

You should paint it in any color you like, after all it is your motorcycle. You only have to please yourself with this one.

VintageJim

Post by VintageJim »

Thanks, appreciate the comments and advice, and I will probably spend more time looking at the bike than riding it. I am trying to bring everything back to the highest standard I am capable of, but agree that color needs to be what pleases the eye of the owner.

Tinkertimejeff

Post by Tinkertimejeff »

I did my '55 R 50 in Police Green and painted the rims to match the rest, it seems to completed the bike.
Attachments
Really small 2.JPG
really small 1.JPG

VintageJim

Post by VintageJim »

That really gives it the old period correct look. It is hard to imagine they were able to start producing these great bikes again only a few years after the end of WWII. Did you have the rims powder coated?
Thanks for sharing.
Jim

R68

Post by R68 »

As noted above, you can paint it whatever color you most enjoy, but if you want to be REALLY unique, research Swiss Postal Service silver, special order for the post office at that time. Maybe BMW can give you the RAL code? Someone once told me they would paint any color you wanted if you ordered enough motorcycles? You might ask opinions here about powder coating, perhaps not the best method for really nice machines?? Also, if you go with "dover" go and research if GM "frost beige" really is the same as dover white??? I forget!

Daves79x

Post by Daves79x »

As far as is known, again, apart from police/government special order colors, the first other-than-black color was Dover White and was first used in '59. Turf Green, Granada Red, Bristol Gray, a very few others appeared in the '60s as they became available as car colors. Research the BMW car color codes from the 60's, you will find out what year each color was first offered. That's if you want to be totally correct in your color choice. But please paint your bike whatever color you like. I can tell you that Dover White seems to bring the most attention. My '59 R50 in Dover can sit next to my black '55 R69 (a much rarer bike) at shows and the R69 is virtually ignored. Everyone flocks to the white one.

Dave
Dave

Tinkertimejeff

Post by Tinkertimejeff »

I painted the rims. When I got them they had been powder coated Silver, I spent a little time sanding off the glossy top and then painted them. Frost Beige is not even close to Dover White, sorry to ruffle feathers but they are worlds apart in appearance. I do like the idea of Swiss Postal Silver, when and if I come across a candidate and more importantly the correct color match I may do one.