If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

SPEEDO Resistance

brettironbutt

SPEEDO Resistance

Post by brettironbutt »

On my last long ride, my speedo cable broke in the transmission. I fished out the square bit that remained, and have ordered a new cable. I can't seem to turn the speedo end, I ground a nail to the specs of my cable and it really is hard or impossible to turn. When I am in a constant downpour, there is some water that gets in through the lens,(see the photo, I comes in where the knob goes through for the trip odometer). I have two replacement bezels, which I have not attempted to put on because both seem to have too low a shoulder compared with the original. I do not think they would stretch all the way to where I could bend them over. They look like 3.5mm of flat.

I am not tempted to try and take it apart and fix the bezel, as I may have to service the inside. If that is even possible. I would like to set it to the real mileage as well, as after my cable broke, I put on another 1480miles getting home.
Or, is it dead and I need to just buy another?

Thanks for your help!
Brett
Attachments
IMG_1751.jpeg

therealkennyboy

Re: SPEEDO Resistance

Post by therealkennyboy »

These are rebuildable, if you want to maintain originality (assuming the speedo is indeed original to the bike--check the build date on the back).

See this link for Vech's recommendation to get it rebuilt.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17651
Ken Walker
Scottsdale, AZ, USA
1960 R60 (currently), 1974 R75/6 (past), 1981 R100CS (currently), 1984 R100RS (past), 1989 K100RS (past)

vechorik1373

Re: SPEEDO Resistance

Post by vechorik1373 »

When they snap the speedo cable off, right at the drive gear, it means the speedometer itself has seized.

Don't bother installing the new cable with that speedometer in the condition that it is in, it will break the new one, at the same place.

Again, when you send it to Joe's speedometer repair ( 818 468 4414) just tell him you want the odometer set at the mileage that it is currently showing, rather than set it back to zero.
Vech
Technical Adviser, Former owner, Bench Mark Works
662 312 2838 cell 9 am to 4pm CST PLEASE!