If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Rear brake linkage 1965 R50/2

bstratton

Rear brake linkage 1965 R50/2

Post by bstratton »

My latest project is a 1982 Honda Goldwing - strangely similar to the BMW in fundamental design with the boxer motor and shaft drive. So it has been a while since I visited the forum...
Took the 65 out yesterday and a very strange thing happened. Lost my rear brakes and discovered the linkage had jammed up against the driveshaft housing. Over-extended in the opposite direction of braking and also broke the brake light switch.
I have 3500 miles on the bike since the re-build and never had any issues. Quick inspection showed nothing obviously wrong (no loose or missing nuts/bolts, cotter pins). I did notice that the linkage is affected by movement of the swing-arm. I was able to pry the bell crank back into position, adjusted my rear springs for 2-up, loosened the adjuster and made it home OK but it happened twice before I did that.
Wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like that?
Bstratton
1971 R60/5
1965 R50/2
1982 Honda Goldwing GL1100 Interstate
MA

niall4473

Re: Rear brake linkage 1965 R50/2

Post by niall4473 »

This often happens on sidecar outfits, if the rear springs are compressed too far, to stop this happening BMW supplied a rear brake lever with a threaded boss on the top, so that a stop screw could be set against the square boss on the rear drive casing.
Many people erroneously believe that this is only required if the hydraulic sidecar brake is fitted, not so, in fact it has nothing to do with the hydraulic brake at all.
Oil is always cheaper than metal