If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Enduro Sidebags- 2 different sets

Skylinechili

Enduro Sidebags- 2 different sets

Post by Skylinechili »

Was hoping for some help identifying these bags. 2 different sets pictured that I have. As you can see the one set has different mounting hardware and were painted black at one point. I started to remove old tape residue and found they were white underneath with an eagle. I have a 1967 R60 with Sidecar and would like to keep one set that fit that bike. Do both sets fit R60? If not, can someone help identify what model they fit? Possibly the value as I don't need two sets and will likely sell one set. I appreciate any assistance given and comments. Thanks!
Attachments
20220716_150631_compress20.jpg
20220716_150628_compress0.jpg
20220716_150615_compress64.jpg
20220716_150547_compress1.jpg
20220716_150609_compress73.jpg

808Airhead

Re: Enduro Sidebags- 2 different sets

Post by 808Airhead »

They made Enduro bags for different bikes IIRC,but the textured ones seem like the original and the smooth are refinished original or fiberglass reproduction. Try to mock them up onthe bike,if they clear the frame then they ARE for your bike. You just need to figure out the bracketry. The original had dzus fastenere which I cannot see in the pics,for easy removal. Either way,GOOD LUCK!!
Thomas M.
R69S - R60/2 - R67/2 - R51/3 - R69

Skylinechili

Post by Skylinechili »

Thanks for your reply. Here are a few photos of the backside and fasteners.
Attachments
20220716_174038.jpg
20220716_173100.jpg
20220716_173040.jpg
20220716_172918.jpg
20220716_172918.jpg

wa1nca

Post by wa1nca »

The last 2 photos are not for r50-r69 but #3 could be for r50-r69
I will post pictures of my set tomorrow
Tommy
Tommy Byrnes
54 R51/3, 55 R50/Velorex 560 sidecar, 64 R27, 68 R69US, 75 R75/6
Ashfield, Ma
USA

FL54

Post by FL54 »

I have a set of the eagle bags on my R50/2. The bags rest on the pieces to the right and have a fastener through bottom of bag through hole on support. You’re missing the brackets that attach to frame that accept the fasteners in the front.
Central Oregon

Flx48

Post by Flx48 »

Hi Sky-
Hard to tell from your pics, there have been a number of copies made since Stan ceased production of the originals, but Noble Ave in Milford was his address, so whichever set has that label are no doubt original Enduros.
Both of the original bag sizes utilized the same mounting hardware, which you show in your 2nd and 5th photos.

The original bags fit all Earles fork twins, whether the AA or BB styles, and I'd assume the various repops would fit all twins as well, as the chassis is shared between all models.
There have been multiple iterations of these bags since the originals ceased production in the early '70s.
Danny Vu's fiberglass repops seem to have the best reviews, though he's apparently not had them made for a few years now.

The originals had their flaws, most notably the light bulb pull chain being used as the safety strap securing the lid to the bag, which would usually snap in two when given a hard stare.
If still equipped that way you've been lucky; would advise changing them out for something sturdier if so still equipped.
As personal preference I like the originals even with their flaws, (same as I prefer the Earles fork bikes even with their flaws...) preferring the AA for it's slim look, and the BB for it's larger capacity.

In the day, originals were often refurbished, after suffering a mishap, by filling in the textured surface with heavy paint/bondo/or both, to hide the damage and extend their useful lifespan.

Best-
George

I wrote the following for Ausherman a decade or two ago about the Enduros for his website; if successful uploading, I'll add a series of photos here I took to compare the early AA bags to the latter BB bags- (one thing to note in the photo comparisons is the lighter surface texture on the early bags vs the heavier texture of the later)

More about the Enduro teardrop bags-

They were produced in Connecticut by Stanley Newman, with the aid of his wife. Stanley’s vocation and area of expertise were as the plant manager. The bags were a sideline and a labor of love. When he retired, production ceased: He had no son to pass the business on to, and at the time, no one was interested in buying the company.

The bags were made by placing sheets of plastic over heavy aluminum dies, heating them, and then applying a vacuum. The original model was designated as the AA. Later the model BB was introduced, which was a wider version of the original, designed not to increase the width of the bike while being able to accommodate a helmet. Or at least helmets of the era. I use both models, but my full-face helmet won’t fit in either size bag. Without placing the two different bags side by side, you might be hard-pressed to tell the difference, but it becomes immediately evident if you try to interchange the lids. For a time, both models were available simultaneously, with a choice of black, snow-white, and Dover white, but the AA’s were eventually phased out.

A letter from Enduro, dated July 1978, tells that a set of BB bags were $167.75, lids were available separately for $24.10, plus postage. For perspective, in my area in 1978, a showroom perfect /2 could be had for $1200 – $1500.

When the BMW /5 appeared, Stanley designed bags for it that mimicked the shape of that early /5 gas tank. They would carry full helmets. Except for using dies being made of aluminum shot-lined fiberglass, the bags were produced the same way. He also produced models to fit BSA, Moto Guzzi, and Triumph. Enduro bags were sold primarily in the USA, but they had clientele worldwide. He never advertised!

Hi, George, I got them and can easily read them too. Thanks so much for this info. Am I correct in understanding that Enduro made basically three bags? The AA, BB, and the /5 type?

Hi, Duane- I would answer that question by saying he made those three types of bags for the BMWs. I answer like that because he also made bags for Triumph and Guzzi, but I do not know if those were the same bags adapted for those bikes or whether they were separate designs: I’ve never seen any but the BMW bags. He retired and stopped production after the /5 model.
Attachments
AArear.jpg
AAside.jpg
BBrear.jpg
BBside.jpg
BBAArear.jpg

Skylinechili

Post by Skylinechili »

Thanks for all the information. Both sets have the Enduro sticker inside, the wider bags have different type of mounting hardware (pictured). Based off the info provided, it appears one set is AA and the wider set is BB? My dad purchased the wider bags at the International Rally in Durango CO, early 90's but never installed them. Just collecting dust. Held them up to the bike but neither seemed to sit correctly. Seemed like the pictured (luggage rack?) Was in the way. Maybe these bags aren't compatible with the rack? I'll definitely have to play around with them and figure out how they mount.
Attachments
20220717_172259.jpg
20220717_171724.jpg
20220717_170356.jpg

Flx48

Post by Flx48 »

That style rear fender rack is not compatible with an Enduro bag installation on the Earles; the bags wrap around the shock towers as well as the fender brace, so the rack's arms would have an interference fit.
It's not a big deal to test mount a bag: Pop that fender rack off, (or just swing that arm out of the way) and install one of the bottom platform mounts.
Use the bottom mounts shown in your picture that look like a flat rectangular tray with a flat piece of steel running off one end, the flat steel has two drilled holes in it, the drilled holes correspond to the passenger peg and the muffler mount.

And if it's not obvious yet, do this on the left side and not the right side, this because if you decide to install both bags, the bag on the s/c side will have to be modified to fit with the sidecar installed.
The bag on the right has an indent to fit snugly around the s/c mount ball, (i.e. for a solo installation) but not around the s/c's mount itself, so you will be modifying the bag if you go that route.

The other set of bags: While the mounts pictured resemble the Enduro /5 mounting system, (which instead of using a platform had straps that clamped around the muffler) but these seem different from what I'm recalling.
Been a long time since I've seen the /5 Enduros; my brother had a pair on his /5 back in the day) but the /5 bags and lids were much squarer in appearance than the Earles bags.
The Earles bags in the day were referred to as teardrop bags, obviously because of their shape, but the /5 bags were not, because though rounded, the bags were squarish, as were the lids.

In your last series of pics, the 3rd pic shows the backside of an Earles bag, while the 4th and 5th pics are not, yet they are teardrop bags; which leads me to speculate that these are a pair of the somewhat rarer bags for either BSA, Triumph, or Guzzi.
Best-
George

Skylinechili

Post by Skylinechili »

I removed the rack and both sets seemed to marry up on the bike. Thanks again for all the information!

skychs

Post by skychs »

Skylinechili wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:13 pm
I removed the rack and both sets seemed to marry up on the bike. Thanks again for all the information!
When you figure out which one you want to sell let me know. I have a set on my R60/2 and would love another set for my R69S. I have aftermarket mounting brackets on mine. They mount much better.
Attachments
IMG_7795.JPG
1966 R60/2, 1967 R69S, 1975 R90S, 2020 R1250GSA