If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

How much do you ride your classic ?

San Arthur

Re: How much do you ride your classic ?

Post by San Arthur »

Not enough, not enough.
I start all of them to keep the carbs from gumming.
Not an excuse but today we will hit 104 F, is not very.

I have to admit I enjoy a lot working on my bikes.

Saludos
San Arthur in San Antonio, Texas
'58 R26 '76 R90S '88 R100RS '94 R100GS/PD

mcsherry1328

Post by mcsherry1328 »

I have several motorcycles in my garage and also living in Wisconsin where the riding season is shorter, I do have a vintage bike I ride daily. My rides are usually shorter on the backroads. It has become my favorite bike of choice. Although I will say that you always know you are riding a 68 year old motorcycle. Still it is my best choice.
Attachments
547E0935-8937-4685-A9C4-F7DF83AB4AE3.jpeg

Gossamer

Post by Gossamer »

Where in Wisconsin are you?

I'm in the West Bend area and my bike starting making a strange(at least to me) noise. Not sure how well you know these motors but if you're close enough I'd love for someone else to get ears on it to tell me it's normal for a 60+ year old bike or something needs addressing.

Mechanically I'm pretty handy but I'm still so new to these vintage bikes I like having as much guidance and secondary input as I can get.

I've tried calling some local shops but none of them so far have been interested in touching it

mcsherry1328

Post by mcsherry1328 »

I'm in Waunakee, just north of Madison. I can listen to your motor, are you interested in riding to my place or would you prefer I visit your house ? Do you know the history of the engine ? Have slingers been serviced ? Total mileage, etc. Have the valves been adjusted lately ? Send me a message with any information you have. Michael

Kurt V

Post by Kurt V »

I’ve got six motorcycles, four of them vintage. I try to ride all of them at least once a week. Since the rebuild on my R60/2, I truly enjoy riding it. Have taken it on some long, 500 mile round-trip, trips. It’s a comfortable bike to ride and easily cruises at 65 miles an hour.
Kurt V
R60/2, R65 LS
1973 Norton 850, 1973 RD 350

Gossamer

Post by Gossamer »

I am amazed at how well this bikes ride and perform.

I put modern shock cartridges in but I really think it's the Earles forks that make these bikes shine.

Power wise, well, nothing to be excited about but definitely adequate.

Once I get the last few little quirks out of it I'll probably ride it work a little more regular and do the poker runs on weekends.

They're great looking bikes and the light weight of them make them fun to ride a little more aggressively.

Gossamer

Post by Gossamer »

mcsherry1328 wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:28 am
I'm in Waunakee, just north of Madison. I can listen to your motor, are you interested in riding to my place or would you prefer I visit your house ? Do you know the history of the engine ? Have slingers been serviced ? Total mileage, etc. Have the valves been adjusted lately ? Send me a message with any information you have. Michael
PM sent

cwf

Post by cwf »

After riding /6, /7 and 80RTs over the last 50 years for work, I thought I'd get an Earles fork model for pleasure. At a time when BMW bikes are more, more and 'would you like a bit more on that bike, Sir?', something lighter, lower and simpler seemed just right.

And I love riding it (50/2). However, I'm reluctantly having to admit that my 68 year old back does not. My /6s, /7s and 80RTs were all 'sit upright' bikes, with well-balanced centre stands and comfortable suspension. Getting a 50/2 on to the centre stand is a strain. The suspension is definitely old-fashioned and the Earles forks, while fine for sidecar work are suprisingly harsh for solo work - the lack of suspension while braking is quite a strain on this old body.

It's not an admission I like to make, much of the time I'm still young, aren't I? Many of you seem to be able to cope quite happily, so it is just me but I think I'll have to go back to a later BMW.

Charlie.
75/7+ offroad sidecar; 50/2; R 35; XR125V; XR200A; Solex; 1939 Hillman Minx DHC.

mcsherry1328

Post by mcsherry1328 »

That's a very nice accurate post on the comfort of /6 era bikes. I still have and ride an R75/6 that I bought new. Very comfortable, smooth, electric start and has decent brakes. I replied to this thread a few days ago about riding my R67/2 daily. I also ride an R69S that I feel is very comfortable, especially compared to the plunger frame R67/2. The plunger frame bike is quite rigid and can be jarring on rougher roads. Also like you I'm 68, although only for another week then another birthday. I agree the /2 can be tough to get on the center stand. I use a side stand on the R67/2 that's quite nice. Of the three bikes I've mentioned I still prefer the R67/2 even with minimal suspension, kick start and weak brakes. I look closely for pot holes when I ride. Whatever I'm riding I still really feel lucky to be on the road rolling along and enjoying the ride. Cheers, Michael

Gossamer

Post by Gossamer »

I'm 53, my bike is 63. I think my bike even with it's current issues is probably in better shape than I am.

While I've not driven it any real distances yet once I know it's dialed in my plan is to do a saddlesore 1000 on it.

It may be an age thing but I actually think my R69 with the ikon shock cartridges we installed actually does the road bumps very very well.

15 years from now, well I'll likely be in the same boat. My son doesn't ride but my nephew does. Hopefully when I'm ready to quit in 20 years or so I can hand this bike down to him as a 3rd generation family owner of this bike.