If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

How much do you ride your classic ?

oldnslo

Re: How much do you ride your classic ?

Post by oldnslo »

I'm surprised to read people have problems getting a /2 on the center stand, I've always considered it one of the easiest bikes for that. Perhaps technique is an issue.Facing the bike, I put my foot on the center stand left foot, lean the right side of my calf against the passenger foot peg, and bump the bike rearwards-almost no lifting involved, and it goes on easy-peasy. This is in contrast, say, to my '74 Honda CB750 which requires both technique and real grunt to get it on-a real pig for that maneuver.
I ride my '68 R50US all the time (I'm 75) and I find it a true pleasure. I've been riding this model since 1968, including a cross country trip in 1972, and I don't find it any more problematic now than I did back then. It has S-bars, so I did fabricate some barbacks to get a more upright posture, which saves my back. Frankly, I think the US-forks are vastly better than Earles forks for a solo machine, and I've ridden both. This R50 compares very favorably in terms of comfort with my '92 R100RS (which has/7 and barbacks also for a more upright posture).

Adam

jimkav

Post by jimkav »

Rode to work today
Attachments
94A04776-2730-46C5-A1E6-C74E2CB8D178.jpeg

VintageJim

Post by VintageJim »

When I was younger (I see in Vech's post we are the same vintage year) I rode my 1963 R60/2 from MN up to Canada and across the Trans Canadian Highway through the Rockies to Vancouver, then down through Washington, Oregon, and back through Idaho (Grand Tetons), Wyoming (Yellowstone) CO, SD (Black Hills) and back to MN. My friend rode with me on a R75/5 and we stayed in a tent every night rain or shine for 6 weeks. An amazing trip and I never even thought twice about the old bike not making the journey. We would travel about 65-70 on the freeways but this was back in 1977 when things moved slower and we took a lot of back roads. Glad I did it then because now I would never be able to take the punishment of "living rough" and riding a bike every day regardless of weather. Now I have a R50/2 that is pretty much a show piece I keep in my office to look at every day and seldom ride, but I am rebuilding a 1953 R26 that may be more my speed these days for puttering around the neighborhood.

thespartina@gmail.com

Post by thespartina@gmail.com »

I have what is titled, at least, a '59 R60 with a replica TR500. I live in the mid-Atlantic region.
I ride April through November and generally put around 4000 miles on it per year.

cwf

Post by cwf »

"I'm surprised to read people have problems getting a /2 on the center stand, I've always considered it one of the easiest bikes for that. Perhaps technique is an issue.Facing the bike, I put my foot on the center stand left foot, lean the right side of my calf against the passenger foot peg, and bump the bike rearwards-almost no lifting involved, and it goes on easy-peasy. "

I tried this method today and I can see it might be easy, IF the centre stand or its pivots were worn, so less lifting needed. I've just worked on mine and they are near new condition, which makes it quite an effort, even using my calf. A handle, as provided on the /5, /6 and /7s would make it easier, presumably why it was provided, but thanks - old dogs, new tricks.

Charlie.
75/7+ offroad sidecar; 50/2; R 35; XR125V; XR200A; Solex; 1939 Hillman Minx DHC.

San Arthur

Post by San Arthur »

Not enough and I have a great excuse, San Antonio have seen 3 straight months of record-breaking heat.
I just don't find it appealing for long rides.
San Arthur in San Antonio, Texas
'58 R26 '76 R90S '88 R100RS '94 R100GS/PD

fastcar

Post by fastcar »

oldnslo wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:56 pm
Frankly, I think the US-forks are vastly better than Earles forks for a solo machine, and I've ridden both.
My father converted his '67 R69S to US soon after the forks came out in '68. But he always praised the Earle's anti-dive feature and never explained really why he switched or how the US fork was better. I felt it may have been just to have the latest - my dad was an engineer type and loved technology. Can you explain why you prefer the US forks? Dad passed in November and we never got to finish the bike restoration. I'm in the process of having it completed now. I'm really tempted to go back to the Earle's configuration and make the bike original again, to match the early photographs we have. Dad sold the forks, likely to recoup the cost of the US parts, so it will involve considerable expense, but something about putting it original just feels right. At the same time, if the Earles really suck, I'll stick with the US forks, lol. I'll also post a general question about this in a new thread. Much appreciated.

cwf

Post by cwf »

I've ridden /6s and /7s for the last 50 years, so plenty of nice, soft, comfortable front suspension and good handling. Now I ride a 50/2 with Earles forks and, on the open road it's still a comfortable, solid ride. But, I live in the city and it's 20 miles of traffic lights, roundabouts etc to get to the open roads, so lots of braking.

I find the lack of dive when braking makes it harsher, more strain on the shoulders and wrists. Age could have something to do with it, of course but I have a little Honda for in-town work and the difference is quite noticeable.

Charlie.
75/7+ offroad sidecar; 50/2; R 35; XR125V; XR200A; Solex; 1939 Hillman Minx DHC.

Darryl.Richman

Post by Darryl.Richman »

While I was without a modern bike, I put about 40k on my R90S. It's a great touring bike! I've also put about 20k on my R60/2 and another 12k on my R51/3. Those are fine weekend bikes and I've done a very occasional trip with them.
20210323_140157.jpg

Most interesting for this topic, however, are the 3 cross country trips I've done riding my 1928 R52 on the Motorcycle Canonball. Working up to and during these trips I've accumulated something like 15k miles on this 12 HP, 3 speed, handshift, hardtail bike. It's very comfortable, and really pleasant out on a winding backroad, where it cruises nicely at about 45. It can about touch 60 with fair weather and following winds, so it's not something that I want to take on a big highway, and the need to double clutch into 2nd means it's not a lot of fun in traffic. The brakes are not spectacular, either. But I have some great memories touring around on it, and it always gets a thumbs up from people.
loveland-pass-r52.jpg
--Darryl Richman

cwf

Post by cwf »

Did the R 52 get a bit breathless at 12,000 ft? I used to do an event called 'Circuit of the Pyrenees' (mountains between France and Spain) and the bikes (XL 185 Honda, 350 LC Yam and 75/7) used to struggle a bit at 7 or 8,000 ft and with probably more than 12 HP. Great to use it like that, though.
bmw poster.jpg