If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

What holds the plug wire in the coil on a R27

sidecarwilliam@yahoo.com

What holds the plug wire in the coil on a R27

Post by sidecarwilliam@yahoo.com »

Just got my bike back together after taking care of the tai light wiring (thanks guys) and went to start the bike and it won't.
This bike has run like a top for many years and was "running when parked." I have a nice blue spark at the plug after I removed the plug wire and cut the end flush and poked it back in the coil. I don't have a rubber boot for it and am wondering if it is the boot that holds the wire up in the coil or if there is supposed to be a cap or clip or....
I had the old wire taped up to hold the wire in but that just doesn't seem right on a bike that has taken such good care of me for so long.
Thanks,
bill.

vechorik1373

Re: What holds the plug wire in the coil on a R27

Post by vechorik1373 »

The original coil had an external thread on the end, and inside the hole where the plug wire went, was a threaded metal "spike" that you threaded the wire on to. There was a rubber grommet (not a boot) that slipped onto the outside of the plug wire, and there was a stamped, threaded, sheet metal cap that threaded onto the external threads of the coil.

The sealing grommet is part number 62 14 8 070 590
the threaded cap is 62 14 8 071 592

R27coil.jpg
However, if someone replaced the coil with an aftermarket coil, it won't have external threads for the cap, nor will it have the internal threaded "spike" for the wire to thread onto.
In which case, you will need the same parts that a later /5 used, to keep the wire in the coil.
These parts are a external brass "clip" that is squeezed onto the end of the plug wire, and a conventional boot that slides down the wire onto the coil.
These parts are:
The clip for the wire 12 12 8 536 120
The boot for the wire 12 11 8 536 129
Vech
Technical Adviser, Former owner, Bench Mark Works
662 312 2838 cell 9 am to 4pm CST PLEASE!

pmtremblay

Post by pmtremblay »

I swapped coils from the original to a new one last year and they are very different.

The original wire was screwed or pushed onto a spike connection inside the coil, secured with a screw-on cap. The new one has a metal cap on the wire, pressed into the coil, held right with the boot.
PXL_20210607_004150086.jpg
NEW
PXL_20210606_191345937.jpg
OLD

You may have to get a new wire and spark plug cap.
Patrick in Virginia
'66 R27
'22 G310R

pmtremblay

Post by pmtremblay »

12138030025_1_B.jpg
Modern replacement coil
PXL_20210607_021249576.jpg
Original Bosch
Patrick in Virginia
'66 R27
'22 G310R

sidecarwilliam@yahoo.com

Post by sidecarwilliam@yahoo.com »

Thanks, guys. I will look into a /5 set up when I get back.
Always found it strange that the coil was hung upside down on a bike that shakes bad enough to need rubber mounts for the drivetrain.
I think this bike might have had a screw on cap and coil back when I got it but that is soooo long ago my mind fails. When I get back from a sidecar rally in Colorado in July I will be concentrating on getting the R27 and globe matched back up as it is fun in the city, meet a lot of people.

Thanks again,

bill.