If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Paint codes

Bmw1950-1969

Paint codes

Post by Bmw1950-1969 »

I am looking for information on paint codes for 1960-1969. Dover white, China blue, Bristol grey.
Thank you.

Daves79x

Re: Paint codes

Post by Daves79x »

Look up 'BMW Paint Codes' from the sixties. Every year color and code will be listed. Dover White and China Blue were not BMW car colors though, and you will not find them there.

Tim Stafford might tell you what the China Blue code is, Dover White is easy to find. GM Frost Beige is what many use.

Dave
Dave

ZebZ

Post by ZebZ »

I feel your pain(t) - there doesn't seem to be two of the same whites out there, plus with trying to perceive color through a computer screen and unknown lighting conditions, its though to tell. The first picture attached is a screen capture of the Jeff Dean article showing the exact same bike but looks like 3 different colors depending on the situation.

You might also do a deep dive on "Feder Weiss" (BMW paint code 084) which I think is what most white BMWs of the era were actually painted. It too is a warm white color but its not as tan / beige-y as I see a lot of the bikes out there, especially repaints. I have heard the origin story about the dealer who ordered the bikes to match his 'frost beige' car and thus was the birth of 'dover white' but all the still-in-original paint bikes I've seen in person are must more white than beige.

I also attached pictures of a BMW paint chip and GM paint chip to show just how different they are but my money is still on Feather White.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-06-24 at 9.33.12 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-06-24 at 9.46.43 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-06-24 at 9.28.53 AM.png

ZebZ

Post by ZebZ »

Here's a period paint sample from BMW with Federweiss
Attachments
1392397179_BMWFarben1.thumb.jpg.e0cab2b9dca6f52586a9eceb6bae1d92.jpg

Tinkertimejeff

Post by Tinkertimejeff »

After 50 or 60 years the paint codes are pretty much useless for a good match never mind a perfect match. I have always leaned on Kent Holt "Holt Design" to get my paint a perfect match. He's matched the Dover White, Granada Red Pre '70s, Turf Green, Police Green and the Caribe Blue for a number of pre 70's paint projects I've done. He has also done a few post 70's paint matches that are spot on. Sorry "Daves79x" but "Frost Beige" is not a match and never will be, its a little to yellow to be White.

If Holt is to busy or can't meet your time frame the best bet would be to get a good sample of the color your trying to match and have a competent and trusted paint supplier mix it for you. Just keep in mind, matching paint colors from 50 or 60 years ago can be a challenge and get a little tedious and expensive regardless of who is doing the work and who decides if its good to go. It really isn't a matter of mixing a bunch of stuff up until it matches, lotsa environmental, product availability and is it worth the work factors involved.

Tinkertimejeff

Post by Tinkertimejeff »

Bristol Grey took over a year until he was happy with a match, I'm very happy with it and I'm pleased that he took the time and made the effort to get it correct.

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

As far as I understand, Holt is no longer doing any painting. Check out their website.

http://www.holtdesignorganisation.com/w ... ealership/
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Tinkertimejeff

Post by Tinkertimejeff »

That's my Bristol Grey R 69S being used as a template for hand pinstripes on my Turf Green R 69S. Both have Holt matched paint on them
Attachments
pinstripe1.JPG

Daves79x

Post by Daves79x »

Dover white is NOT white. We're talking about two totally different colors. Dover is brownish beige. You are talking about true white from the '70s. Only a very few special purpose Earles bikes were ever painted true white. The original post asked about '60s colors. If you want 'white' for an Earles bike, it is Dover White and Frost beige is very close. The paint codes are out there for Bristol Gray, Turf Green, Granada Red, any of the '60's car colors BMW used. Any good auto paint store can mix them. Holt is feeding you a line about taking a year to match Bristol Gray. And what original bike out there are we trying to match? Any original bike out there has faded, worn paint by now. It is not rocket science.

Dave
Dave

Dover Rider

Post by Dover Rider »

Been there, done that ;)
BMW R 27
info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com <info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com>
Thank you for your email.
The BMW R 27 VIN 3837xxx was manufactured on September lst.1964 and delivered on December 21 st,1964 to the
BMW importer Butler & Smith in New York City. The bike was equipped with a bench seat, the original color was
[b]"Elfenbein[/b]".
Yours sincerely,
Andreas Harz

BMW Motorcycle Notes 1964 R27
Why the "Dover white" color? Michael Bondy, of BMW importer Butler & Smith, sent BMW a can of that color
paint, which was used on his 1942 Packard, and BMW duplicated it. He then ordered 50 motorcycles in that
color.
Man Elfenbein / [5571 / #cl 9354 Hex Color Code. The hexadecimal color code #cl 9354 is a shade of brown. In
the RGB color rri6aa-#cl 9354 is comprised of 75.69% red, 57.65% green and 32.94% blue.
7 Hellelfenbein Light Ivory standard Ivory 51911819 299 (Touch-up paint#)

ln modern terms, the Dover white paint is GM code#059. 1980 GM Frost Beige PPG #3087