If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R60 Barn Bike

bigdave

R60 Barn Bike

Post by bigdave »

1958 R60, vin 619236, built Jan. 23, 1958
Got this bike as a "barn find" that had been sitting in a wood shop with a damaged head for over 20 years. Seems to be mostly complete but the rear was separated from the front/engine. Just started getting into this bike and find that the wheels are different. The rear has a deep slot behind the sidewall of the rim (8mm). Is the rear rim of the "high lip" variety and the front one "low lip"? Pictures are both of the rear wheel. Who knows what has happened to this bike over the last 64 years.
I will attach some other pictures when I dig it out of the corner where it now sits. The bike seems to be mostly complete, but is partly disassembled with the rear wheel free to be cleaned up. Tire (4 inch wide) has a date code of 926 (1970?, 1980?, 1990?) and will be replaced.
Any information or comments are appreciated.
Dave
Pictures attached:
IMG_6987.JPG
IMG_6986.JPG
1987 R80RT
1965 R50/2 (now sold)
1958 R60 (project) Now running well
1973 R75/5 (recently sold)
1956 R26 (basket case project)

Flx48

Re: R60 Barn Bike

Post by Flx48 »

Hi Dave-
You are correct; your pics show a high lip rim; it can be difficult to see high from low at a quick glance.

Easy way to tell is to lay something, like a pencil or whatever, across one of the 5 safety dents, if it lays in the dent and doesn't contact both lips it's a low, and if it touches both lips but doesn't settle into the dent it's a high.

Both high and low lip Weinmanns are soft and easily dented, most dents are pretty inconsequential, but good to check that denting has not been enough to affect the roundness of the rims themselves, both axially and radially, past their ability to be tuned straight with the spokes.
Easily checked if the bike is on center stand high enough to turn the wheel(s), lay a pencil or whatever, across swingarm to almost touch rim and turn wheel, looking for whoops, again, either in axial or radial directions.

These days not unusual to see bikes of any vintage with either wheels, and some bikes with one of each.
Best-
George

Flx48

Post by Flx48 »

Forgot to mention your tire date code-
That's a funky number; first two digits should reflect week of year, so should stop with 52 being highest.
And only one number after the week numbers indicates it's a pre-2000 tire.
I suppose you might guess the decade by the manufacturer's tread design?
Best-
George

Daves79x

Post by Daves79x »

Nice find! Your bike should have had either chrome steel rims or low-lip Weinman alloy for double-cross hubs. The high-lip alloys did not come into being until the early sixties. The very early single-cross hubs had high-lip alloys also, but yours is too late for those.

Lots of hard work and fun ahead! I'm just across the state. Holler if you need something.

Dave
Dave

bigdave

Post by bigdave »

Thanks everyone for the info. Not surprised that one of the wheels is not original. At least it seems straight, but have not put it on a truing stand yet. Will keep Knox in mind with questions and possibly ride my R80RT up there some time. We have been to Benezette to see/hear the elk, but not often in that part of the state.
Looking forward to tearing things apart to see what works and what does not.
Dave
1987 R80RT
1965 R50/2 (now sold)

Daves79x

Post by Daves79x »

We go to Benezette often. I'm about an hour and a half due West of there. Holler any time.

Dave
Dave

bigdave

Post by bigdave »

Another question about this wheel. I removed the tire today (4.0 X 18). It appears to be oversize from what I can find. The rim measures about 2 1/8 inches across the inside of the rim. I believe this is the correct size rim for this bike that does not have a sidecar. Looks like the PO installed an oversize tire for some reason. Anyone know of a reason the PO could have done this?
1987 R80RT
1965 R50/2 (now sold)

Tinkertimejeff

Post by Tinkertimejeff »

$$$$ and availability. Almost all my /2 and early Earles fork bikes had 400's on the rear when I adopted them. I have two US/2's and both have new 400's, that's what they got at the factory. The others have Metzler C block 350 X 18 tires front and rear, they ride fine for a 50 to 70 year old motorcycle and considering I have 33 or so bikes that need to be ridden often I don't think I will be wearing out to many more tires.