If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Couple o' Carburetor Questions R60US

ZebZ

Couple o' Carburetor Questions R60US

Post by ZebZ »

So my '68 R60US arrived the other day - First project will be a carburetor rebuild. The model is 1/24/151.

Question 1 - obviously, everything's going to come apart and get a bath but are there any parts like needles or jets that are worth replacing preemptively ? What about the "new" type float caps?

Question 2: Looking for the right gasket kit - is this a 16MM plug screw type or 24MM ? I can't seem to find that info.
Attachments
Gaskets.jpg
IMG_0994.JPG
IMG_0992.JPG

xackley

Re: Couple o' Carburetor Questions R60US

Post by xackley »

my r69 with 63k has only been cleaned and the floats replaced. The metal floats seem to develop leaks at the wrong time.
The plastic floats seem to hold up better. The set I bought ~15 years ago from Vech are still floating.
As long as yours doesn't leak out of the bottom, cleaning is a simple job I have done on the road side, simplest carbs you will ever enjoy. The gaskets on top appear mostly to keep out water. The rubber boots on the cable adjusters are the most important, as rain runs down the cable and makes the engine cough.

I should really invest in one of those gasket kits, but seem to forget when ordering parts :(

As to the size, I don't know. A cheap $10 digital caliper gauge will help, and probably a more knowledgeable forum member will have the answer.

Don

Edit: and float needles replaced
Last edited by xackley on Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1958 R69, 1972 R75/5, 1980 XS650, 1982 GL1100, 2003 guzzi ev, 2017 guzzi V7!!!
All on the road, going no where in particular in the Finger Lakes of New York

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

I order my kits from Bing. I tend to ask them what I need. Or they can tell you what to measure.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Flx48

Post by Flx48 »

Hi Zeb-
1st?- Any part is good till it's not; unless your pockets are deep inspect your parts and replace just what needs replacing.
You're going to get plenty of opportunity to buy new parts.
The carb gasket kits, like all gaskets and seals, are consumables.
As Don suggests, at this age the floats are reaching their use by date.
You can test the floats and use till they fail if they're not leaking, (many originals are still in use) or preemptively replace.
I'd caution against buying the plastic replacements and keeping them in stock till needed, though; I did just that and when it came time to use them (probably 2 years later) they leaked after a few weeks use and the replacements were not covered by Benchmark; so just wait to order till needed if you choose to go this route.

2nd?- A look at your photo of the carb shows the needle jet cap is smaller than the sidecar reservoir plug screw, and a look at your parts list shows which kit has the needle jet cap smaller than the plug screw, so that tells you which kit you want; but again as Don suggests, it's a good idea to measure and verify, and if you don't have French measuring tools, just measure in inches and convert.
Good luck Zeb, and enjoy the ride to the ride!
Best-
George

kingcowie

Post by kingcowie »

My advice
Is to pull apart and give a good blow out and clean,

Keeps jets as is ,
replace the floats with plastic, change out the gaskets
but what ever you do very carefull not to strip any threads especially bowl cap. always give the threads a good clean out and if it is tight going back, stop and check.

Good luck
Shane
Wollongong, Australia
Tooo many projects —— oh well
53 R25/3 Project
57 R26 Project
62 R50/2 Restored
64 R50/2 Project
67 R69S Original
71 R75/5 Original
77 R100RS Project