If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

What is the Factory Correct Speedometer for 1951 R51/3?

sherman980

Re: What is the Factory Correct Speedometer for 1951 R51/3?

Post by sherman980 »

Michael,
As you look for someone to repair your Veigel speedometer, I would suggest you find someone who has worked on that brand/vintage before. My understanding from those that repair them is that they are potentially much more difficult to repair than their VDO counterparts. Something to do with the "cast frame" that holds the speedometer gears, odometer wheels, etc. I've had good luck on the repair part here in the States with North Hollywood Speedometer (repair time and cost is another mater). They have done a couple for me over the years, and I have usually sent an extra core or two for them to use as spare parts if they need them.
Hope that helps.
Chuck S.
Thanks.
Chuck S

Hoffner

Re: What is the Factory Correct Speedometer for 1951 R51/3?

Post by Hoffner »

Thanks, Chuck! Now the trick will be to find one. Some units have the Veigel logo in script, as was the case on prewar product. As some point, they updated their logo to modern block lettering, as on the repops. The answer to whether my ‘51 should have the script logo is interesting to me as a design professional. It’s not addressed in the Barrington Motors book, which is the only scholarly source I’ve found so far.

Anyway, thanks for the tips.
Michael
1951 R51/3
1976 R90S