If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Ride report, R27 on a Motogiro

pmtremblay

Ride report, R27 on a Motogiro

Post by pmtremblay »

I rode the spring Motogiro USA in Tennessee and North Carolina this past weekend on my R27. It was a real coming-out party for the bike, which had been recommissioned last year after sitting for nearly 40 years.

The main refresh was done by a pro shop, and it took me about six months after that to work out the remaining bugs. The bike was proving reliable for 100-mile rides up to the Motogiro, but I was still a little nervous going in as it was a big test for the old thing.

The bike ran almost flawlessly, with just some minor struggles due to the high altitudes. 300 hard miles, including hours of rain, miles of gravel, and lots of long second-gear climbs followed by steep, twisty downhills. I didn’t baby the bike at all, running as fast as I felt comfortable for most of it.
1 (2).jpg
When I got the R27, it’d been parked since the early ‘80s, and the paint and exterior surfaces are pretty beat. I think it’s beautiful, but the look straddles the line between patina and neglect. It’s almost completely stock, still with its 6 volt system and original Bing carb. The refresh included resealing; new wiring harness, points, condenser, coil and voltage regulator; new suspension; new or freshened wheel and chassis bearings; new rubber bits; and new first-over piston. The only modern touches are LED headlight and tail/brake light, and an electronic voltage regulator.

Motogiros are two day events, with four main sections of about 75 miles each on the twistiest and most interesting back roads. It’s limited to bikes 1968 or older, and 305cc or smaller, with added classes for sidecars and scooters. There are no maps or GPS - you’re given paper route sheets with distance, direction and road names. Turn left onto Smith Road in 3.2 miles, etc.
2.jpg
There were about 80 bikes entered, and another couple of dozen or so on display or in reserve - everything from 1950s Moto Guzzis to pristine Spanish bikes, lots of Honda and other Japanese scramblers, and five R27s. There was also a heavy-patina Dover white /2 sidecar rig and a bumblebee GS sidecar rig to round out the BMW contingent

The event was centered in Erwin, Tennessee, about 45 minutes north of Asheville, North Carolina, and in the middle of incredible mountain roads. The sections are timed, and there are short agility tests to add to the competition, but for the most part it’s all done at legal speeds with plenty of time buffer. Some riders got really into the competition, but the atmosphere is very friendly - just a bunch of people riding old bikes on beautiful roads.

On Friday I towed the R27 about 350 miles on a small trailer, arriving in time for dinner and the riders’ meeting. Saturday morning we were off, and for the next two days I pretty much flogged the bike, riding for six or seven hours each day.

The Saturday morning section was run in excellent weather, lots of great roads and eight or ten miles of gravel in the middle. I don't know the exact elevations, but we were probably getting to around 5,000 feet/1,500 meters each day. Not massive, but enough to affect the bike. For the most part the R27 ran well, with just a little difficulty starting and idling at the higher elevations. I didn’t touch the carb at all during the event, it was close enough the whole time.
1.jpg
The Saturday afternoon session was all in the rain, non-stop for hours. This was the true test, as the bike hadn’t seen rain since it was put back on the road, so the electrics and tires were unproven. It turned out that there were no issues at all, the bike did great. I can’t say the same for my navigation - I got way, way off course and had to cheat with GPS to get back. I arrived more than 10 minutes late, which is a lot for a Motogiro, so that took me out of contention for the $0 prize money.

At the end of the first day the bike was put on the center stand and left, in the rain, for the night.

A side note, for gear I used a small tank bag and a small bag strapped to the rear rack for spares, and the stock tool kit in the tank toolbox. For navigation, I had a route sheet holder that let me roll the paper directions as I went, and a Beeline device to measure distance and time. My bike has a stock odometer which probably would have been enough, but it doesn’t read in 1/10ths of a mile so it’s not ideal for the Motogiro.

The Beeline was terrific. It’s a small round screen that mounts on the handlebars and talks to a GPS-based app on the phone, which I kept in my tank bag. It gave accurate distance measurement, and worked perfect with the paper directions. It’s also a navigation aid, so when I got way off course and had given up trying to find the right route, the Beeline was able to guide me through the rain and back to the start. All seamless, no maps, no need to pull the phone out or even take off my gloves.

Sunday morning started with good weather. There was lots of road grime, and the speedometer had some condensation in it that burned off after about an hour, but otherwise the R27 was ready to go. I spent the morning riding in a pack, along with two other R27s, several two-strokes and a few other odd bikes. It included some really steep climbs - the four speed transmission did well overall, but keeping momentum was a challenge between revving out in second and lugging in third.

On the less steep climbs, the flats and downhills the bike is just excellent. The brakes, original to the bike, worked well and gave me plenty of confidence. The Heidenau tires worked extremely well and were very predictable with good grip on the pavement, gravel and wet. With the twisty roads, cruising at 45 mph or so was about right, and I hit high 60s a few times on longer stretches. Average speed overall was probably in the mid–to-high 20s with all the hills and tight curves.

The Sunday lunch break was at a rest stop at a fairly high elevation. After sitting for about 20 minutes, I had some trouble starting the bike and ended up flooding it. I swapped out spark plugs and was able to get it going with a dozen kicks or more, and had to mind the throttle or it would stall. Once moving all was good, and the idle smoothed out at lower elevation.

The rain returned for the last few miles of the event. I got soaked loading the bike and it was pouring for almost the full seven hours drive home.
4.jpg
The next day I gave the bike a good going over. I changed the oil, and the transmission gear oil looked a little frothy so I changed that and the final drive as well. A few things had loosened from vibration, but nothing major. Some hot soapy water and it looked as worn and beautiful as it did before the Giro.

This was an exceptional test for an old bike, and the R27 absolutely proved itself. The old Bing struggled a little with the elevation but never gave up. The electrical system was solid, the suspension was perfect for the variety of surfaces and speeds, and the tires and brakes were predictable and performed well. I was comfortable at all times, and unfatigued at the end.

When I got the R27 from a friend a couple of years ago, I was hoping to have a fun bike for occasional back roads. Every time I ride it I’m more impressed. It’s proving to be a reliable, comfortable, well handling bike. It’s slow by modern standards, but it’s completely capable for all-day, challenging, spirited rides. It’s now the favorite of any bike I’ve owned, I absolutely love this thing.

A big thanks to all the people here who support these old bikes and clueless owners like me online and by phone. I would be lost without VBMWMO.
3.jpg
Patrick in Virginia
'66 R27
'22 G310R

weh8127

Re: Ride report, R27 on a Motogiro

Post by weh8127 »

Thank you for a very well put together writeup.
Bill Husted
Barre, MA USA
1963 R60/2 w/ 1955 Steib S500
1973 R75/5

Douglass

Post by Douglass »

Thanks Patrick. A great story well written.
Douglass

therealkennyboy

Kudos!

Post by therealkennyboy »

Not just for doing it, but for doing it on an almost 60 yr old bike--well done!

Nice write-up as well: I found this an enjoyable enthusiast story; many of your experiences along the journey are quite relatable.
Ken Walker
Scottsdale, AZ, USA
1960 R60 (currently), 1974 R75/6 (past), 1981 R100CS (currently), 1984 R100RS (past), 1989 K100RS (past)

skychs

Post by skychs »

Congratulations .....
I was there on a 67 CL77 scrambler so I know what your R27 went through. It was tough. It was nasty but it was a lot of fun.
1966 R60/2, 1967 R69S, 1975 R90S, 2020 R1250GSA

Flx48

Post by Flx48 »

Great report Patrick-
And congrats to you and Chuck on a good ride!

I think that was the best BMW representation at a USCRA MotoGiro event yet.
The routemaster (a member here) even developed the two day course while riding a Dover white R27. (thanks Will, an awesome ride!)

There were only two mishaps this year, (that I'm aware of) one towards the end of each day, at the return to the finish.
Both probably due to the sometimes intense rain that finished out both otherwise beautiful riding days.
Saturday, a pickup failed to yield right of way at an intersection, running over bike and rider, and pinning them both under the truck for a bit.
The rider walked away; and I made a note to myself to never pick a fight with him; that's one tough man.
Sunday a rider went down hard making a turn at an intersection; the front wheel sliding out on the oil slicked rainwater; a following rider stopped to assist and noted the pavement was slippery just to stand on.
The rider got his bike up, rebent footpeg and shifter, and finished the event.
So another renewed note to self; fresh rain at stop signs/lights>watch for the oil slick.
Best-
George

pmtremblay

Post by pmtremblay »

George - were you on the R69 sidecar rig? If so I'd like to get some photos from you. VBMWO may include a rework of my ride report in the next magazine, and I'd love to show a few of the other BMWs there. By my count there were five R27s (three entries plus Will P's two) and two sidecar rigs, yours and the airhead GS.
Patrick in Virginia
'66 R27
'22 G310R

Flx48

Post by Flx48 »

Hi Patrick-
Yes, that was Ginni and I, with our /4 outfit, 1960 R69 w/Spezial, seen over there ->
We like to stay within the spirit of the MotoGiro, entering with pre '68 bikes.
I don't think I took any useful pics, but will check, and also check with my posse, and see what other folks may have gotten.
Best-
George

pmtremblay

Post by pmtremblay »

Flx48 wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 11:19 am
Hi Patrick-
Yes, that was Ginni and I ...
Anything you can come up with will be appreciated. I have the article about done and will let them know other photos may follow in the next week or two. I made a point not to take many photos, now I'm kicking myself.
Patrick in Virginia
'66 R27
'22 G310R