If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

How does one remove the wiring in the fender /2?

sidecarwilliam@yahoo.com

How does one remove the wiring in the fender /2?

Post by sidecarwilliam@yahoo.com »

I am attempting to remove the three wires in the channel in the rear fender of my R27 and am unable to make the wires even move a little bit.
Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

bill.

San Arthur

Re: How does one remove the wiring in the fender /2?

Post by San Arthur »

Hi Bill, is the fender off the bike?
San Arthur in San Antonio, Texas
'58 R26 '76 R90S '88 R100RS '94 R100GS/PD

john.b.watts

Post by john.b.watts »

I have had luck clearing the channel of dirt and muck with a fine stream of water, then pouring a silicone-based liquid (ArmorAll) for slippery purposes and carefully applying increasing pull on the wires. This all assumes you have a clear hold on the wire and it is entirely detached from everything.

This is done with the fender either off the bike or flipped up fully, using gravity to induce the liquids to their purpose. Good luck and hope this helps!

VintageJim

Post by VintageJim »

I did this just 2 weeks ago on my R26 with a similar problem with the fender on the bike as I am replacing the wiring harness. With the fender on the bike I raised the rear section at the hinge. Be sure to really lube up the hinge before you try to move it. I then cut the harness at the hinge and fished the plastic tube from my WD40 can into both end of the rear section and squirted liberally. I then started alternately pulling on each end of the harness and eventually it started to move a little. I kept squirting WD40 and eventually it moved a lot and could be pulled out. I then did the same with the long section of harness going down to the battery box junction. It took me about an hour of pulling and spraying but it eventually came out nicely. There didn't appear to be rust in the channel but I think after 65 years the harness just fuses with the metal. I don't think there is any way to do this without sacrificing the old harness. Hope this helps!
Jim

sidecarwilliam@yahoo.com

Thanks, Guys.
The fender is off the bike (although I had just put it back on when the problem reared it's head.)
I have done the WD40 thing and I added some Silicone spray as I am told it is more slippery.
I will let it soak one more night as its 96 outside right now (Nor Cal) and try pulling tomorrow.
I'll let you know.
I have had this bike for 30 years or so, bought out of a barn for $200 and it was my vacation bike when we took the MH.
Been a fun bike!
Thanks,

bill.

vechorik1373

Re: How does one re-install the wiring in the fender /2!

Post by vechorik1373 »

Getting the old wires out, is easy, compared to getting the new harness in, if you have never done this before.
I will tell you right now, there is NO WAY on can push the harness through the tunnel of the rear fender.

I have always used a steel gas welding rod, (.060 diameter steel rod) which I sanded the end clean, and tinned it with electrical solder (because it has a lower melting point than 60/40 solder) and stripped back and twisted the 3 wires together tight, and then soldered them to the end of the steel wire/rod. Feed the rod through from the hinged part of the fender, and grab the end with a pair of needle nose pliers, and pull it out through the entrance hole in the front of the fender. Squirt LOTS of WD 40 into the tunnel of the fender, and wet the outer sheath of the tail light harness with WD 40 also.
You are going to need a buddy to help, this is a two person job. Have your buddy pull slowly on the solid steel wire, while you wiggle and shove the harness around the curve in the tunnel at the rear hinge. Once you get past that, continue to pull while shoving the harness in, until the harness emerges from the front of the fender.
wire.jpg
Vech
Technical Adviser, Former owner, Bench Mark Works
662 312 2838 cell 9 am to 4pm CST PLEASE!

VintageJim

Post by VintageJim »

Thanks Vech! My new harness is supposed to arrive next week and I have been puzzling about how to devise a fish to pull the wire through. I figured this would still be a struggle. You have solved my fish problem!
Jim

sidecarwilliam@yahoo.com

Thanks, I got the wire out today. I think the extra day soaking in WD40 and Silicon spray worked. I really had not thought much about pulling in the new wire but your idea sounds the easiest. Pushing the wire I can safely say had never entered the thought pattern :D .
I am looking forward to getting this little bike back on the road with its sidecar because it is one of few vehicles I own that people use all of their fingers when they wave.

bill.

VintageJim

Post by VintageJim »

Yesterday I used the Vech method and soldered my new harness wires to a welding rod and pulled the harness right through my fender channel with no problems! I was even able to do it without a helper. Thanks again! :D